Journal Entry 3 : Hardware platform – Leap motion

I guess all of us already know about this hardware – Leap motion.

It isĀ about 3 inches long, 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick motion controller. It has a 150-degree field of view and tracks individual hands and all 10 fingers at up to 290 frames a second. It can track movements smaller than the tip of a pin with no visible lag time.

Although we can’t buy it in the market yet, many people are expecting its release. Someone says, we already have touch screen and everything, what is the benefit of this motion controller? It can only make your arms tired! Well, I agree with that, however, it is very exciting when I imagine using Leap motion controller and Oculus Rift (super sand lesbian’s post)Ā together (someone even added omnidirectional treadmill also). That would be awesome. We are in virtual world finally! lol

We’ve already seen many clips of Leap motion, but I attach one more just in case. It looks just cool!

4 Responses to Journal Entry 3 : Hardware platform – Leap motion

1. Leap motion seems pretty interesting. Really, I’d rather be playing with that then simply touch screen just because it seems a lot more cooler then simply touch screen.

2. Philip Zak says:

i see the leap motion being useful for 3D modelers, architects, engineers, and possibly people in the medical field.

3. I had to stop the video half way through just to say this is flipping awesome. As soon as he started to use his finger in the air, I was sold.

4. I’ve been looking forward to the Leap Motion for some time. I very much like the idea of using it with the Oculus rift, one could maybe attach it to the front for use in short range object and gesture detection.

Coupled with the Kinect, a medium range object detection and tracking system could be developed! As far as I know, it’s not very well suited for close up activity. The Leap Motion could compensate for the blindspot. That space close to your body where you might be interacting with the interface.