5% of course grade
Visit a winery/vineyard in an AVA. Explain the techniques the winery/vineyard employ when making their wine. Identify, and include in your analysis, the following information:
- Specific qualities of the vineyard
- Grapes grown
- Approach to agriculture (philosophy)
- Vinification practices
- Knowledge of tasting room personnel
- Customer service skill of tasting room personnel
- Additional comments/recommendations
Role and Audience
As a student studying wine you will be in the role of investigator, seeking out a better understanding of how grapes are grown, how wine is made and the various styles of wine grown in the particular AVA. The audience of the paper is anyone interested in visiting a winery and vineyard as well as anyone wanting to know more about vineyards, wine making and wine tasting.
- Proper APA format for essays
- Tasting notes (if applicable)
- Business card or promotional material of the winery/vineyard must be attached to the back of the essay
- Alternate format: post analysis on OpenLab with a link to the winery(s)/vineyard(s) visited.
This assignment will be assessed for the following information:
- Clarity of information communicated and the student’s ability to analyze and interpret the attributes/weaknesses of the winery/vineyard.
- Analysis should be 3 pages long.
- See rubric
Student Learning Outcomes
- Communicate in diverse settings wine making methods using wine industry terminology (HMGT: Skill; Gen Ed: Skill)
- Gather, interpret and apply information about the factors that affect the taste of wine (HMGT: Knowledge; Gen Ed: Integration)
- Gather, interpret and apply information about the geographic regions where fermented beverages are produced (HMGT: Knowledge; Gen Ed: Integration)