Paumanok Vineyards

The vineyard I decided to visit was Paumanok Vineyard which is located on 1074 Main Rd, Aquebogue, NY. This vineyard is located within an AVA (American Viticulture Area); which is called North Fork. North Fork is a 30-mile-long peninsula in the northeast part of Suffolk County, NY; all vineyards are located at that location of Long Island, NY. This AVA is a great location for vineyard because of the soil and climate that this location gives. The soil is a prevailing soil and the climate is known to be Maritime. Also, the AVA requires that a minimum of 85% of the fruit is used in the wine grown within the borders of the region. Paumanok vineyard was founded in the spring of 1983, they have a 127 acre of land. The grape varieties that are grown here are Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. The way they manage their vineyards is that they do 1100 to 1400 vines per acre and that way they know that they’re producing a more concentrated and higher quality grape for their wines.

When I went to visit Paumanok, I did go in mid-November. Not the best choice because as I went to look at the vineyard, they have harvested all grapes. But I wasn’t disappointed because I saw the way the owner or manager prepared the vineyard for the next harvest. The way they decided to organize the cords in straight and some cords were going down or up, for the fruit to grow in that direction. I did a self-guide of the place, decided that I didn’t want a guide. But the gentlemen was very helpful with answering any questions I had. In the barn house, there is a see-through glass of their stainless-steel tanks. So, I asked the guy who was working at that time if all their wines are made in steel tanks? He responded saying that only the white wines are held in the tanks, the red wines are held in oak barrels. Then I went to try a glass of wine, I decided to try the 2018 semi-dry Riesling. It had a very similar taste to a German Riesling wine.

Overall, even though it was a short visit, I had a pleasant experience looking through a glass where the tanks are located, walking through the vineyard and seeing how they manage their cords for next spring, and having to taste one of the wines that they produce. I would come back to this location around August to October when it’s a more appropriate visit to a vineyard. And hope to try more of their other wines.

References:

https://www.paumanok.com/history.html

http://www.lisustainablewine.org/viticultural-areas/

Terroir

The Vineyard

Stainless-steel tanks, where white wine is being held.

A decoration display in the room, how in the older times they use to make wine.

Wine menu

Me holding a glass of 2018 semi-dry riesling, which was empty by the time I took the picture.