Community Outreach

Volunteering

Fluoride Varnish Program: April 2019

Fluoride Varnish Program allowed me to provide basic oral screenings and apply 5% NaF varnish for Head-Start pre-school children using a tongue depressor, light source, and micro brush. Referrals were given to parents depending on urgency of dental care.

Applying 5% NaF varnish on a four year old
Applying varnish
Examining the oral cavity with a tongue  depressor and light

Head Start Program: March 2019

Head Start program allowed me to educate pre-school children from low-income families on how to brush the oral cavity using figure dolls and toothbrushes.

“Tell, show, do” on how to brush

Service Learning Project: February 2019

Thanks to our Public Health course, I was given an opportunity to engage in a Service Learning Project and introduce an oral health education program regarding caries. I was personally involved in contacting the teachers at P.S. 517, planning the layout of the health program, and discussing the oral cavity & significance of having teeth.

Educating on caries and nutritional counseling for fourth grade students

Colgate “Bright Smiles, Bright Futures” Program: Nov 2018

During this GNYDM event, my colleague and I educated on oral hygiene and were in charge of playing interactive games regarding the oral cavity.

Educating children on oral hygiene
Showing children video animation on caries
Fellow colleagues
City Tech Dental Hygiene Class of 2019

Wellness Fair: April 2018

My colleagues and I presented on Silver Diamine Fluoride at the Wellness Fair to educate the audience on growing popularity of the use of SDF as a non-invasive option for caries arrest and treatment. I was involved in presenting about the pro’s and con’s of SDF and answering questions regarding the presentation.

Presentation on Silver Diamine Fluoride