Create a mood board for a fictional product or service. The objective of a mood board is to give a client a sense of what their collateral can look like—without spending the time to create original artwork. Use a period or movement in art and design history as a starting point. Design history should serve as a jumping-off point, not a constraint.

The mood board is made by pulling together images together to create a new cohesive collage. It’s fine to pull “swipe” from the internet as long as it doesn’t look pixelated in the mood board.

The second part of the assignment is to write up the concept in a short paragraph. This should be a persuasive or descriptive piece of writing that gives the client a sense of the thinking behind the mood board.

See the examples below for more information.

Specifications:

• Due Date: 2/13
  • Length: two pages; a one-page mood board and one-page write-up of the concept
  • Format: PDF or webpage
  • Size: Any size is fine, but this will need to be shared in the future; 11 x 17 or 1920 px x 1080 px are typical.

You can use any program you are comfortable with the create the moodboard. Adobe InDesign is the industry standard. Illustrator, Keynote, or PowerPoint are also acceptable. If you prefer a web-based mood board, consider Figma.

Grading

I will be grading your project with this in mind:

• The cohesiveness of the visuals
  • Completeness

Examples

See here.

Resources and Tutorials

My favorite resource for learning InDesign is CreativePro. I usually Google what I want to do + “InDesign Secrets” or “Creative Pro.” I recommend creating a free account and subscribing to the newsletter.

LinkedIn Learning has some great courses:
InDesign 2021 Essential Training by David Blatner

Course link

…and of course, there is YouTube