Prof Cheng’s ARTH1100 History of Photography Fall 2019

active 4 hours, 49 minutes ago
Prof Cheng's ARTH1100 History of Photography Fall 2019
Humanities
ARTH1100

“Great photography is always on the edge of failure.” — Garry Winogrand

An introduction to photography as a fine art and communications medium, from the publication of its invention in 1839 to the present, among Western practitioners. Illustrated lectures and discussions appraise diverse overlapping functions of photographs and view camera work within the history of art and culture. Changing styles, purposes and techniques are outlined chronologically.

Additional Description for this section: We will examine the use of photography for aesthetic, documentary, and “scientific” purposes, stylistic shifts in photography related to aesthetic concerns, and varying interpretations of subject matter based on social and cultural concerns at specific moments in history. We will also consider the relationship between photography and the visual arts in general, which culminates with the primacy of photography as a medium by the late twentieth century.

This course may be cloned by logged-in faculty.

HW#2: Food and Coffee during the Civil War

An interesting fact during the Civil War that fascinated me was, men soldiers weren't used to […] See MoreHW#2: Food and Coffee during the Civil War

H.W #2: Food and Coffee during the Civil War

I find it fascinating how the Union soldiers would get creative when it came to making their […] See MoreH.W #2: Food and Coffee during the Civil War

coffee in the civil war

I believe is interesting the way these soldiers were able to be in war with such small portions of […] See Morecoffee in the civil war

French fries are a good choice. I am obsessed with them as well but I am very particular when it […] See More

I also like french fries especially the soft ones! See More

Man, i love potatoes as well. It fills you up so quick but has a long lasting flavor and […] See More