OpenLab Pioneers!

• Creating My Site
  • #12294

Prof. Karen Goodlad

Creating the site that will be used for the Perspectives in Hospitality HMGT1101 course has proven to be enlightening. The guidance that has been provided has help bring the site a long way since Tuesday morning and I feel includes valuable information for our students to embrace through the semester and thereafter. I plan to use the website as a central communication center for the students and will provide them the opportunity to showcase their achievements throughout the semester. Students will post two assignments directly to the site and participation on the blog will not be required but encouraged. The first electronic assignment will be due week two to help them become familiar with the site and the second assignment is due about mid semester. The second assignment will be more intricate and will utilize many varying general education competencies as discussed throughout last semester. Here is the link to my site http://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/hmgt1101fall2011goodlad/ take a look at what the students will experience and let me know your thoughts. Feedback would be appreciated.

#14021

Bree Zuckerman

Hi Karen,

Your site looks great. That pineapple makes my mouth water! And I like the shared fruit theme you and John have, and how you’ve used the sites to further integrate your courses.

I like your idea to have an assignment early on in the semester to get students used to using the site, before they have the larger one mid-semester. Also, nice use of menus to pull each assignment onto its own page.

This is a very small suggestion, but on your assignments page, you might want to change the wording from “assignments drop box” to “assignments drop down menu.” It’s not a big deal, but drop box might be a little confusing for students.

If you have any questions about anything as you’re finalizing your site, let me know.

Cheers,
    Bree

#14049

Sandra Cheng

Hi Karen,

You’ve got an awesome looking site. How do you create the drop menu under syllabus that offers you a weekly schedule as well as a ‘policies’ subsection. I’d like to do the same.

I’m not finished looking at the site, but under policies, a couple of typo-like glitches showed up (ie, under dimensions for your paper format: 1 in turned into 1 with a 2-superscript). Also the link to APA style on the CityTech library website is no good.

Sandra

#14050

Prof. Karen Goodlad

Thanks for the heads up.

I created the drop down options under menus. I am sure that a fellow can walk you through the process tomorrow or I can help when we are face to face. I’m not proficient enough to do help you via messaging.

Enjoy the workshop tomorrow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)