Sp2015 Introduction to Fiction

active 8 years, 10 months ago
Sp2015 Introduction to Fiction
English
2001
Spring 2015

INTRODUCTION TO LITERATURE: FICTION ENG 2001
3 class hours, 3 credits Prerequisite: ENG 1101

Students will read and discuss works of fiction including novels, novellas and the short story; conduct research, prepare and deliver oral presentations, and write a variety of assignments, which must include a final examination and midterm examination or quizzes, and may include but are not limited to a term research paper, essays, in-class essays, shorter response writings, and online writing activities. Written and oral assignments will measure students’ ability to

*understand a range of narrative styles—including Western, non-Western and experimental—as well as the relationship between story form, function and meaning.
*apply various methods of literary criticism and analysis (for example, study of character, setting, language and other elements of form; study of genre and narrative method; comparison of various author’s works).
*incorporate biographical, cultural or historical contexts where they will help students understand the literary work.
*follow MLA New Style conventions for writing essays about fiction.

Each instructor will determine the forms and methods of assessment as specified by their course syllabi. Such evaluation must meet criteria appropriate for a course taken in the junior or senior year of college. By the end of the semester graded work will total approximately 3750 words (or approximately 15 double-spaced pages). Students must submit acceptable projects and pass the final exam in order to pass the course.

Course Profile avatar: La Fiction et La Realite, https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncan/101364055/in/photostream/

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Jody R. Rosen

Project 2 Beloved Part 1 by Keith Smith

Beloved Part 1 Project 2 by Keith Smith   In this story by Toni Morrison, I was hoping that […] See MoreProject 2 Beloved Part 1 by Keith Smith

Project 2 Part 2

Poem With Picture If you can't read it here's what I wrote. Motherly Love Running away and […] See MoreProject 2 Part 2

Project 2 Part 1

In the book "Beloved" by Toni Morrison, begins in 1873 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Sethe the main c […] See MoreProject 2 Part 1

Comment on "Presentation – “A Rose For Emily”"

You did a good job and you made very interesting points. Hats off! See MoreComment on "Presentation – “A Rose For Emily”"

Comment on "Glossary – Anthology"

I had the fifteenth there, I just forgot to add it!! Also, your class was really great, and […] See MoreComment on "Glossary – Anthology"

Comment on "Final Discussion!"

Part 1 will only cover the stories we read after the midterm. I hope that helps! See MoreComment on "Final Discussion!"

Introduction

This is not the appropriate place for an introduction, nor is it long enough. Please read this announcement: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/rosens2015fiction/2015/02/06/a-second-chance-blog-revisions-and-corrections/ and review the […] See MoreIntroduction

A Small Section Of My Life

Now that you have posted this on our course site, can I remove this discussion forum? I don't want anyone to get confused about where to post their work. Also, be sure to choose the correct category for your introduction post--edit your […] See MoreA Small Section Of My Life

Homework: Intro

Now that you have correctly posted your introduction on our course site, can I remove this earlier discussion forum? I don't want to confuse anyone and have them think this is where they are suppose to post their work. See MoreHomework: Intro