ENG1121 D435 Fall2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due 10/1 by 5PM: Research proposal

Amber Slater
    Participant

Hi all! This is where you will post your proposal for the Call to Action Research Paper. Generally, research proposals explain what you’re researching and why. They share your research question and explain why you should be able to learn more and write a paper that addresses the research question.

Before you write a proposal, please read the assignment sheet for the Call to Action research paper (on our OpenLab–click Call to Action on the menu) and the chapter “Exploring Topics and Creating a Research Proposal” (on our OpenLab–click Course Calendar with Readings). You need the information from both to complete this assignment.

Please include lots of detail in your proposal–you can use the one on pages 306-308 from the chapter “Exploring Topics and Creating a Research Proposal” as a model. I will be reading your proposals in order to approve everyone’s topics before you start writing the paper.

Your proposal should answer the following questions:
    1. What discourse community are you writing about? What is the issue or problem in that discourse community that you will address?
    2. What is your motivation for wanting to write about this discourse community?
    3. What is your research question?
    4. What basic research have you done so far? What information have you found?
    5. What kinds of challenges do you think you might run into as you work on this project?

MelvinB
    Participant

1. I will be writing about gun violence in Coney Island Brooklyn.
    2. My motivation for wanting to write about this come from losing a close friend who was a bystander in a drive by shooting blocks away from her home. Just receiving that phone call was life changing, losing a loved one due to someone’s self-acts is horrible.
    3. My research question is: Is gun violence a major epidemic in Coney Island.
    4. I found a few newspaper articles on many shootings that have occurred in Coney Island. Also, we’ve a local community center called “Operation Hood” which aims to end gun violence in Coney Island.
    5. I may face a challenge of finding sources on what people should do to fix this issue.

Trevian Brown
    Participant

Your proposal should answer the following questions:
    1. What discourse community are you writing about? What is the issue or problem in that discourse community that you will address?
    The discourse community I want to write about is global warming. The issue I will address is how it’s hotter now than in the past due to global warming. And then from there explain how it’s happening.
    It’s very hot. Year after year the summers get hotter. And it’s annoying. That’s why I want to write about it.
    What is global warming and how to prevent it?
    I learned that the glaciers in the artic are melting rapidly.
    5. What kinds of challenges do you think you might run into as you work on this project?
    I think ill have a hard time doing more than 1500 words but I’ll try.

Todd
    Participant

1) The discourse community I’m writing about is video games and people associating violence with it.
    2) it’s been associated with violence for a while now but all these mass shootings got people thinking that more often, as well as our president saying that. that’s what motivates me
    3) Do video games really cause violence including mass shootings?
    4)I looked up mass shootings in the U.S compared to other countries.
    5) I don’t know any challenges at the moment considering I’ve done similar topics with video games before so I’m very familiar with this topic

Elsa
    Participant

I will be writing about poverty. The issue that I will be talking about is how the government doesn’t provide that much service for people who need help.
    When I walk around the streets and subways in the city I see people who are struggling to survive. This makes me feel bad for them and sometimes in the situation that they are in is not their fault. This motivates me to write about this issue.
    How can the government improve on providing people with more help.
    So far I have found a website that explains how the government can fight back poverty. “The Top 10 Solutions to Cut Poverty and Grow the Middle Class”.
    Finding more evidence and sources to help me in this project will be a challenge for me.

Josiah Ponce
    Participant

Q:Your proposal should answer the following questions:

1.The discourse community I’m choosing to write about is the way Native Americans are being discriminated against and subjugated through our U.S. government’s system.
    2.My motivation in writing this essay is that, I think discrimination of any religious, ethnic, or cultural groups are demeaning to the image of our nation and should be a thing of the past.
    3.My research question is “Is discrimination against Native Americans and other cultural groups still present among our nation?”(hint hint, yeah)
    4.I have discovered articles that describe in detail of exactly how much female Native American workers make in comparison to their fellow co-workers.
    5.Properly forming ideas and connections after giving evidence can be a struggle for me.

Mykhal Parson
    Participant

1. I am writing about the video game (Maybe the NBA 2K DC) discourse community, and the issue I want to address is micro transactions/“pay to win” games.
    2. I want to write about this topic because video games have always been a big part of my life, and now they aren’t as fun anymore because of the amount of money gamers have to invest in order to win.
    3. Can games without micro transactions still be successful?
    4. I’ve done research on what’s the worst parts about micro transactions, and that includes loot boxes and in-game currency. “In-game currency really only determines how quickly I can be successful in that game, however success may be defined. Quickly, then, is the keyword. It comes down to time. Instead of just real-world money, or in-game money, we are presented with the premise that our time spent progressing in a given game is its true value, and we must decide whether or not it is a waste of our time to grind in our favoured game, or simply buy out that chunk of wasted time and get to the good stuff”
    5. I think the main problem would be finding scholarly articles about this problem.

Francky
    Participant

1) I am willing to write about “prejudice” in the workplace.
    2) My motivation is that I have seen so many people mistreated because of either their nationality, beliefs or religion in the workplace.
    3) The research question is why there is a prejudice about someone, while we most be all equal and have the same rights?
    4) I’ve read a few articles about it, I’ve found a few reasons that might cause prejudice in the workplace
    5) The main obstacle might be the sensitivity of the tropic, it might be hurtful

Abdullah123
    Participant

1.) Unsanitary cafeterias and food stores.
    2.)My previous school cafe closed down 2 times due to this.
    3.) What do we do about unsanitary cafeterias and food stores?
    4.)I read an article about it and saw some news on it.
    5.)Not much.

Toni Ann
    Participant

1. Gender bias/inequality in the culinary industry.
    2. Seeing first hand how female chefs are treated compared to their male counterparts. As well at the stereotypes about female chefs.
    3. Why are female chefs seen as incompetent? How can we mitigate this issue?
    4. Articles, documentary, and individual testimonies.
    5. Not many

Ryanbell782
    Participant

Ryan Bellingy research topic

The topic i have chosen is why is it taking longer to graduate from college since i am a member of this community
    and i believe it affects a great many also i will attempt to determine if it’s an american problem only or is it a global
    problem I don’t foresee any challenges in writing about the topic or locating information seeing as it was vaguely referenced
    in a time magazine article i was reading at the time about school shootings.

Joshua V
    Participant

1. Haven’t decided either college basketball or college (city tech )
    2. When it comes to both communities a lot of money is being made and not beneficial towards the students in terms of finance
    3. How can college students pay off student debt after graduating ? / Why NCAA college basketball players don’t get paid
    4. Articles , newspapers , blogs. In other countries college students go to school for free/ new state law in California to pay students
    5. Challenges that may come up is probably forming the main ideas and points to fit into the essay criteria

Janet C.
    Participant

1, I will be writing about how homeless women cope with their periods, and the issue is that since they cannot afford for pads or tampons they find their ways to make their own pads but it is not hygienic.
    2. it is not fair that they have to go through this and we women know the feeling we go through our cycle and we want to be clean. since there are a lot of women homeless because of personal situations they should not go through this and get infections for not being able to afford pads/or tampons.
    3. What can be a solution for all homeless women to receive products/help.
    4. I found out that new york is the only state that has a policy that all shelters, public schools and jails should provide free pads and tampons for the public.
    5. not much

Brianna Bermudez
    Participant

1. The discourse community i will be writing about being able to work with kids who have an IEP. At my job we accept children from all diverse communities, that includes working with children who have an IEP. It can be challenging to keep the engaged and included while trying to learn the material needed.
    2. My motivation for this topic is my job. I’ve worked with kids for a few years now, but every so often we get children with IEPs and it get difficult at times. Just learning about new techniques and tips goes a long way.
    3. What are better way to make students with IEPs feel included in the classroom setting, and still be able to retain the attention and information they need?
    4. I have found a few articles on keeping students engaged with little details. For example a seating arrangement, or even hands on projects with a presentation. It keeps students entertained and helps with obtaining the information needed for theses projects and presentations.
    5. Some challenges I might face during this project may be finding repetitive information… The best techniques stick out more and although it may be useful for majority, every child learns differently.

FahmidC
    Participant

1. I will be writing about the One Piece community and its problem with toxic fans.
    2. Toxic fans can ruin the experience of the series an even may end up convincing you to hate some aspects you previously loved about the series and the community.
    3. “Are Toxic Fans Inevitable?”
    4. By being a part of forums and a couple of discord servers, I understand how the toxic fans behave, a lot of them do it just to be different from everyone who only says good things, while others will do it for attention and to spark conversations.
    5. Currently no sure what kind of challenges will appear

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.