ENG 1121 D440 Fall 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due on 9/10 by 5PM: Response to Anne Lamott

1. My writing process in the past would be to first brainstorm what my main topic would be. After about 30 minutes or so, I’d figure out how I’ll setup the writing. Depending on what I’m actually writing, I would switch up my style, claim, evidence, etc. Usually I’d write about 1-2 drafts before moving into the revisions and publications. My strategy for editing would be for me to go line by line checking the grammar, punctuation, and how relevant it is. On the other hand, how I would strategize revising is letting someone read my work. I don’t really have a special designated place to write, however I like writing in quiet study areas, so it’s easier for me to focus.

2. One sentence that is memorable to me from Anne Lamott’s “Shitty First Drafts”, in paragraph 4, line 3-4 which states “You just let this childlike part of you channel whatever voices and visions come through and onto the page”. This is a very memorable sentence because children will not hold back on any thoughts or ideas they may have. Lamott also mentions that having an adults first draft may not be more “rational” like as in the mind of your inner child.

Shawyane
    Participant

My writing process has been very easy this past year.
    Once I turned writing into something I do to release steam, instead of letting it stress me out it has become very easy for me to do. I write one draft, revise, edit & then publish, I also go to someone like a tutor to help me look it over. I write at home which is where I am most comfortable & ideas run though my head.

My favorite quote would have to be “You just let this childlike part of you channel whatever voices and vision come through and onto that page” because saying this, allows readers to not dismiss their creativity

Anabil
    Participant

1. My writing process has been alright in the past not the best but it was alright. I didn’t do many drafts maybe one or two sometimes three. I typically try to make mine sound different but the end I make sure I’m answering the question. I would swap papers with another friend of mine to see if I had any errors but then proofread it myself. Reading it myself I do the most. Special place; I prefer a quiet place thats pretty much it. Don’t really have a special place where I write. There are people that can write with music on, I can’t do that.
    2. “In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts.” I feel like sometimes you may not have the best start but in the end, you finish good. That’s all it matters most of the time. I’ve seen from my experience, I’ve had friends that did poorly when it was the first draft but after getting advice from the teacher and students his paper was really good. It happens to some but happens.

Kevin Martinez
    Participant

1. For me I would say my writing process in the past times throughout the years was more of reading the article or passage and highlighting the parts I thought was important, finding examples and looking for the main idea. Sometimes in the past I would have written 1 or 2 drafts of my paper based on the feedback I’ve gotten I would use that to rewrite my final paper and fix all the edits and mistakes I saw in my previous 2 drafts. Some of the strategies I used for revising and editing my paper was to reread my paper a couple of times, check for spelling mistakes and for grammar errors as well as giving my paper to someone other than me to read it and have there input and have them put out things I can change or fix. When I write my paper, I don’t really have a special place as to where I would write it, but I can normally write my paper in my room in my desk or on the way home from school on the train ride back.
    2. My favorite line from “Shitty First Drafts” is “For me and most of the writers I know, writing is not rapturous. In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts.” I found this line very memorable and inserting to me because I can relate to what the author is stating there because when I am writing my papers I always write back but I see that as a very helpful good thing to me because the more feedback I can get will help me out when I rewrite my paper.

Thalia L. Frontani
    Participant

1. My writing process was shaky from 3rd grade because I didn’t understand the concept of writing and building stories but once I started incorporating ideas from many fictional novels, I started making improvements on my essays overall. More detail, less choppy sentences, the easier flow of understanding. I only wrote multiple drafts once for a narrative story since I would change the entire plot and to do that, my ways for editing and revising was highlighting sentences and taking out any extra dragging words of a sentence to shorten the idea of what I am trying to say. A special place where I like to do my writing in my room, my room is very calming since I can blast my music and have my fun.

2. “Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts” This was my favorite sentence because I relate to me almost since I had struggled with finishing drafts or ideas since I always second-guessed. Yet, in the end, I would be very satisfied with my piece.

Edmond
    Participant

In the past, my writing has developed consistently over time; therefore being very average but as well as unique in its own way. It was always hard for me to start my paper, but once I’m in the zone, it becomes a breeze. The most splendid thing about writing is that it can never be wrong if it’s your own idea. Every writing piece I do consists of multiple drafts. I begin with a brainstorm of topics, then create an outline of my paper included main points and crucial facts in order to create credibility and evidence. After that, I complete the requirements of the paper, then revise it. Occasionally, I would have a friend read my paper for any mistakes I had missed. Lastly, I finalize the paper. Over the years, I realized I write the best at my home on a screen where I am most comfortable. Oddly, deadlines motivate me, so I usually get the best form of my paper the night before it’s due.

“Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it”
    For some reason, I found this quote very relatable to me whereas I explained before about my own writings. At the start of a paper, I am often confused and stuck thinking of a purpose of my paper. However, after putting time into it, a fairly good paper results from it and I feel like that’s how it works for me.

HiuWang
    Participant

1. My writing process is like i will draw a map, and make all the information become one word and put it all inside the map, and make it connect later. For ex if we tell about food, i will make seafood, meat and vegetable, and than seafood>1. fish 2.shrimp….. meat> 1. beef 1. chicken etc… after i drew the map, i will have a base paragraph in my head. And than think i need is make all the information become a sentence, and finish the writing.

2. One sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that is memorable to me is “Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it. ” For me yes, is it true. Most of the Writers dont know what they wrote before they done. i wanna say it not just about writing, look it more bigger, my homework, my education, my job and my life. As or life, is like a writing, we keep writing different story about our life, and affecting other people. One day at the end, you will say ” This is the end of my story, and this is all i done, my life is not that perfect, because of this, it make it satisfied.”

Elijaruhith
    Participant

I used to love writing especially writing about things that interests me also writing about my own personal experiences. First I would always research, brainstorm ideas then write my first draft. If I write an essay based on a text I try to make a connection with my personal life and how I can relate to it. Yes, I have written multiple drafts of my papers. I usually edit and add details to my papers again and again. I like exchanging my paper for revising and editing with a partner. the reason why I like exchanging paper because feedbacks encourages me to improve my paper.well when I’m on the train I like to listen to music and write down my thoughts on my phone. I also prefer writing in the library or at starbucks.

One sentence from the ”shitty first draft” that is memorable to me is ”the first draft is the child’s draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later”.This sentence is interesting to me because it is a fact. I believe that if you don’t pour all your thoughts and feelings about a certain topic you won’t be able to shape it later.

The Greg
    Participant

My writing process is rather simple. I start off by looking up examples of what I’m meant to write, once I got an idea, I would start writing immediately. I would reread and change what I think should be changed. I’d also ask someone, professor or friend, to read my writing and ask for a opinion. I don’t really have a special place but I have a way to get into my “special place”, all I need is some music and tea. I’d get into the “zone” of writing immediately.

“So I’d start writing without reining myself in. It was almost just typing, just making my fingers move.” It’s interesting to me because it’s something I can relate with. I would just draw, create something which I wouldn’t have a clue on what I’m doing yet I would still be able to have created something that can be used or something good throughout time.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.