ENG 1121 D440 Fall 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due on 9/10 by 5PM: Response to Anne Lamott

Amber Slater
    Participant

Hi all! Write about these two questions:

1. What has your writing process been like in the past? How often have you written multiple drafts of your papers? What have been your strategies for revising and editing? Do you have a special place where you like to go to write?

2. What is one sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that is memorable or interesting to you? Why is it memorable or interesting?

Graan
    Participant

1- I’d say for me, the writing strategies I used throughout the years of school were quite helpful. I start off with my first drafts in which I note all my topic information and examples remember this is the first draft so I just write anything I find interesting, I also make sure to annotate any text I am writing because you always need to have examples and evidence in your essays. Then as the second and third drafts approach I tend to get more in detail and more specific, also fix any grammar and punctuation mistakes. I write about three drafts per writing because I’m usually asked to do so, so now it’s a habit and I plan on doing that more if required. When revising and editing I make sure I have my articles and internet they both really go well with each other I believe. The special place I go to write is usually my house because when I tell everyone I’m doing hw they know to be silent and even if they aren’t silent I’m always so locked in to my writing I don’t even know what’s going on in the house.

2- My favorite quote/sentence from a “Shitty First Draft “ is when the author says “ few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it. Nor do they go about their business feeling dewy and thrilled. They do not type a few stiff warm-up sentences and then find themselves bounding along like huskies across the snow”. Because I find it funny and also the author is being sarcastic and trying to make the text funny/interesting.

Douglas
    Participant

My writing experience in the past is that: I always followed recommended texts more than the required outline given by the teacher, as a result: I passed all my classes involving writing but did not get a consistent A. The most amount of drafts I write is about 2; I believe that the first draft is broad and the second draft is seemingly the ideal essay. Additionally, My strategy for revising my essay is reading over my essay while making sure that I don’t have a grammatical or philosophical mistake; I try my best to make sure that my argument is not hypocritical throughout the essay. Moreover, my special place to write is at Starbucks because I can buy things, eat and/or drink, and work on anything required.

My favorite sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” is ,”For me and most of the other writers I know, writing is not rapturous. ” (Lamott). I relate to what Lamott is saying when she says the writing process is not “rapturous”; I believe when an individual is done writing there is a lot of ideas that can be added to make a essay perfect.

Janice Chen
    Participant

What has your writing process been like in the past?
    First of all, I would brainstorm the topic and the details. Then, I would write my first draft and review it several times. Lastly, I would edit the format and submit it.
    How often have you written multiple drafts of your papers?
    I always do a review and go over my paper many times. But I only do it on a computer. I do not often re-write my essay in the paper.
    What have been your strategies for revising and editing?
    I do not have a special strategy. I would just keep go over my paper and read it many times to make sure it sounds smooth to me. I would sometimes go to the writing center and revise my paper with a tutor because I am not good at grammar. Maybe they can help me find out mistakes that I can not see.
    Do you have a special place where you like to go to write?
    I love to stay in my room or living room when I write. I do turn on music when I write my first draft. However, when I am revising, I have to be quiet and there can not be any noise. Otherwise, I cant not read.
    What is one sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that is memorable or interesting to you?
    I love the whole first paragraph of “shitty First Draft”. There are two sentences that really catches my attention which is “Not one of them writes elegant first draft” and the first sentence of the second paragraph “Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it”
    Why is it memorable or interesting?
    Those two sentences are my favorite because in some way it tells me that even a good writer won’t write a good story at first. All the improvement are made during the process of wiring, previewing and editing. Which it tells me that I could be a good writer if I want. Also the I feel so related to the second paragraph because I have not idea what I am writing until it really typed out on my paper. It’s very interesting to see those good writers also have to go through all those stress(don’t know what to write and bad first draft) as I do.

chris
    Participant

1.- My writing expeiernce has never been good. I would always have a good idea on what I want to write but I usually just end up having run-on sentences and a lot of unnecessary mistakes. I am much better with my writing than before now and I’m proud of that. I tend to start off writing 2 drafts for my English class, then I write a final draft. Afterwards, I review it and if I find mistakes or anything I might need to correct. The way I revise and edit my essay usually is re-reading to make sure it makes sense, that my grammar is correct, and that I completed everything that was needed for the essay. I don’t have a special place to write but if I had to choose somewhere to write and be comfortable, it would be at home in my bedroom on my laptop.

2.- ” If the kid wants to get really sentimental, weepy emotional territory, you let him. Just get it all down on paper because there may be something great in those 6 crazy pages…” That was my favorite quote.
    It stood out to me because sometimes some kids go through things that not everybody believes or listens to, but if you really listen, you can find something really special.

Ariel Montesino
    Participant

My writing process really just comes down to finding an idea I’m really interested in and just sticking with that as that allows me to write more on topic instead of just having a random topic I’m disinterested in. I’ve written multiple drafts a few times, usually two or three drafts. My strategy for revising papers is going to the teacher to ask them what I could improve on and then from their I just try my best to revise the draft. I do not have a special place to write.

My favorite sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” is, “Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it. Nor do
    they go about their business feeling dewy and thrilled. They do not type a few stiff warm-up sentences and then find themselves bounding along like huskies across the snow.” I just find it funny cause this is something that happens to me all the time; writing warm up sentences and getting stuck for an hour or two until I come up with a better idea.

Jamir Campbell
    Participant

1.My writing process in the past usually starts off with me researching and collecting information about what I’m writing. I would say that I do about two drafts, when writing an essay. After my drafts I like to reflect on what I just wrote and my word choice. I might take out certain sentences that I feel don’t need to be in my essay. I would probably get someone else to read my essay, and try to incorporate what they said about about my essay to improve it. Once I’m done with that I’ll rewrite my essay. My special place to write is my house because it’s usually quiet and there’s no distractions.
    2.My favorite sentence from “ Shitty First Draft” is, “The whole thing would be so incoherent and hideous that for the rest of the day I’d obsess about getting creamed by a car”. I find it interesting that she feels this way about her first draft because most people first drafts are not that good and that’s why you write more than one. Also first drafts normally aren’t supposed to be perfect.

Samuel ugweje
    Participant

11. My writing process in the past has been kind of strange to me, it’s either I have way to many thoughts and ideas going through my head about the topic I’m writing about or I have no clue of what I’m going to write. I write multiple drafts pretty often, when I have something to write about, mostly with essay for my classes. My strategy’s for revising and editing is going over what I have written to see if there is anything I can fix or make sound better, and also having a close friend or even my professor reading my draft to finds mistakes that I missed. I don’t really have a special place I go to write it all always depends on how smoothly my thoughts are flowing.

2. The sentence where she stated “almost all good writing begins With terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere”. This sentence stood out to me because it helps me overcome the fear of getting started. And it doesn’t matter how bad your first efforts are, when you go back to revise them you may be able to come up with new ideas to better structure it for the second draft.

Tyler Pierre
    Participant

The way I start my writing process in the past was very basic. I’d just free write the First thing that came to my head in regards to the topic just to get my mind going so I could be overwhelmed with ideas to get the assignment done. Next I would evaluate what I wrote and pick apart parts that I would wanna include in into another draft. My last step would be to show it to my teacher or my older brother to get a second opinion about my writing and making edits to finish my last draft

“ The first draft is the child’s draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place,” is my favorite sentence from Shitty First Drafts. I found this line very interesting and relatable because I used to write like this in my past and still use aspects of this style in my writing today.

RONALD PERLA
    Participant

1. My writing process till this day relates to the reading where I initially Write my first draft with all my thoughts no mater how long the paper is. I would then Write two more drafts and extract the important parts and the rewrite my final draft. During my jr and senior year I frequently wrote my papers over and over again in my AP English class. When I write my papers I prefer to have someone else read my second draft to get feedback. I prefer writing my papers at home in silence where all I could here are my thoughts.
    2. The line that stood out to me the most in the reading was line 2 where the author states “ all good writers write them”. This line is significant because it just makes the reader accept that we are all capable of writing good papers.

Wu
    Participant

My writing process starts off with coming up with a main topic first, and then think of at least two smaller ideas to it. Then I try to come up with supporting details. I usually write my paper twice, the first time I will write down whatever comes to my mind, then I read it over again to see if it makes sense. Then I go ahead and do my editing. If it seems too difficult to understand then I tend to delete the whole thing and rewrite it again. I don’t have a special place to go to write my papers, but I do try to stay in a quiet place since I get distracted very easily.

My favorite line from this paper is “…the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts.”
    Because it makes sense in a way. I kind of like that idea, writing a really shitty first draft so I can feel like I made improvements every time I make changes to it. It’s nice to know that I’ve made improvements, and it sort of encourages me to do more.

Iris Olmos
    Participant

My writing process has been alright throughout my years I’ve always liked to write and do any work that has to do with writing. I would always use that to better my writing every time. Last semester I was rewriting my draft for better grades which helped me a lot in my grades and in my writing. My strategies for editing and revising has been to look back at what a professor has written that needs to be revised and I edit by reading everything that I have written out loud to see how it sounds and to make sure I don’t use unnecessary words or repetition. I don’t have a special place to write but I do like laying down in bed with my laptop and writing with some music on it helps concentrate and ignore other noises in my house.

One sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that is memorable or interesting to me is when she says, “In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts.” That was very interesting to me because it’s vey true not everything you write at first will be great or perfect that’s why it really stood out to me because it will help me know that I don’t have to try and make everything perfect.

Yan Tao
    Participant

1. My writing process been like in the past is that I start writing down all the sentence, phrase and paragraph that I think it will go to my writing. Then I will try to put all the thing I write together and make multiple paragraph out of them. I usually write two drafts for my paper, sometimes three. My strategies for revising and editing is to read all the writing in head or out loud to see if there is any sentence doesn’t sound right. I don’t really have a special place where I like to go write my paper.

2. One sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that is memorable to me is “The right words and sentences just do not come pouring out like ticker tape most of the time”. It is memorable for me because there is often a time where I know what I was try to write, but I wasn’t able to find a good way to write it down or the sentence I write down doesn’t seem right to me.

Pegdwende
    Participant

1) My writing process has been about planning what i will be writing about, like research more information about the topic and i would try to create sentence starters, look for possible vocabulary i would use. For me, i just start to write about the topic i will be introducing and i would write the first draft look at it over, revise, then i would rewrite the second draft with deep and more effective words, then would look at it over add missing words, more details, and change some words if needed to make things clear and readable. I usually use Google docs or Microsoft word and i use grammarly to help fix and give words i made mistakes on .
    2) A shitty first that is memorable is when i was in high school i tried to write a poem but my English wasn’t that great, i was still learning English, when i look back at my poem didn’t since at all, i didn’t know many words in English. It is so memorable because that’s the struggle i had with learning a new language.

Angel Villarreal
    Participant

My writing process has always been decent in the past. With previous classes, we were told to write a draft and share with classmates so we can gain constructive criticism from it. I would usually write 1 or two drafts depending on the topic. My strategies for revising and editing my papers would be focused on my analysis in my paper. I think strong analysis makes better understandings for papers. I would say my special place to write would be my bedroom because I fell the most comfortable there.

“The first draft is the child’s draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later.” This sentence is the most memorable for me because I was able to relate to it the most. On papers, I am unmotivated with I write terribly so I do think my first draft is the “child’s draft”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.