Brooklyn historical society- Gregory Mitchell

The daguerrotype is different from my photograph because my photography is in color where as the daguerrotype is only in black and white. Another difference is that my photograph was taken instantly as soon as i pressed the button on my camera but the daguerrotype takes twenty seconds to take the picture.  The objects in my photograph do not need to stay still where as the object or person in the daguerrotype must stay completely still for twenty seconds.

When using a DSLR camera to take a photograph you can just take a picture randomly and spontanieus anytime you want, you do not have to prepare the shot or have anyone pose for any amount of time. When you are using a dageurrotype to take a photograph it is time consuming because you have to polish the piece of metal and apply all these different chemicals and you cannot just take a picture anytime you’d like, you have to have the subject stay still for around twenty seconds.

When you are viewing a picture with a digital camera you can see the picture right away and decide if you want to keep it or delete where as with the dageurrotype you have to wait till the picture is developed and you do not have the option to delete because it is a hard copy on a piece of metal.