Jean’s Fine Wines & Spirits

Jean’s Fine Wines & Spirits located at 642 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY, offers an extensive variety of wines. I asked the owner, Jean, what differentiates her from local liquor and wine stores, she explained that she offers customers unique choices rather than “the same 300 wines.” Jean and her employees also offer one on one assistance, and are very knowledgeable about the wines they sell. According to Jean, they have someone on sight who has a culinary degree and can perfectly pair wine with food.

The winesare separated by region with shelf talkers and have a map located next to them with the regions.  They make sure the customer gets the proper wine they need,  as well as provide  recommendations if you are having a special occasion or 

Shelf Talker

are not sure what is appropriate. When asked about why she got into the wine business, she answered “well, it’s a funny story actually because I never would of thought I’d be selling wine like this.”  Jean said that while on a picnic with her husband, she was really enjoying the wine that was given to them by a friend. She decided to buy more and when she arrived to the shop, it was called “Gene’s Wine Shop.” She found it quite funny that they had the same name however different spelling. She soon found out that the actual store was up for sale. Jean bought the store and took it as a sign of fate and had the chance to settle after being between jobs.

Wine from France

Sparkling Wine

The last question I asked was their oldest wine by vintage in store and it was a Dalla  Valle Cabernet Sauvignon, California 2000. Jean’s Fine Wines & Spirits have many benefits, from offering their opinions, hosting wine tastings on Fridays, the free 5 minute wine chilling service, to having free quarters for customers who park nearby so they avoid a ticket. It is the tiny things that matter and you can very much notice how much Jean cares about her customers. The only drawbacks I can think of from the experience was that the actual store had tight spaces and corners, and I was not asked for an I.D when purchasing a bottle of Bordeaux.

A region not yet studied.

2 thoughts on “Jean’s Fine Wines & Spirits