Type Talk – Typography PBS

See the following link : Typography | Off Book | PBS

Comment Below

This short video features designers talking about the use of typography in different way.

Do you see yourself using typography in a similar way than any of the designers here?
Do you see yourself using typography in a different way?
Explain.

DURING CLASS

1. Jada Bellille

I see my set as a graphic designer, but then again I see myself conquering all fields of design. I feel uncomfortable subjecting myself to one category of design expression, I choose all. hopefully I’m able to work my way up the entrepreneur ladder, or become a creative director of some sort for a prestigious company or maybe my own.

• Julian

I can definitely relate to that. Being trapped into one field kinda feel’s limiting but being able to explore the possibilities seems more ideal in people in this field/ major. I wanna do something that shakes up the designing world. I don’t know if that mean’s, I go solo, work with big companies but I’ll definitely find it if I explore

2. jack

Viewing the video from pbs about tyopgraphy and the purpose for it I do generally see myself using it to express ideas that come to mind. I see it as potentially being something i could use for financial means by allowing others to buy for example clothing (branding) from there interest of style.

3. Julian

Maybe not using word’s and font’s like the people presented in the video but maybe using design in commercial’s, advertisements, website’s, ECT.

Yes depending on the situation and project I could see myself using typography. I could see myself using it on website’s, infomercials, ads, clothing, media

4. Osato Osarenkhoe

1. yes i see myself using typography in a similar way, cause depending in the text and how it looks u can create ur own using facts and knowledge from other designs like for example my favorite typography which is blackletter to me the texture of each letter from A-Z, looks rough yet smooth.
    2. yes i see myself using typography in a different way as well and as i stated in the first question to create my own letters and patters as well as designs.
  5. Damare Jerome

I do see myself using type in a similar way as the designers in the video as I have been already. The most interesting designer to me was E. Opara because of the type manipulation he was doing. In my opinion, most designs don’t necessarily need to have a special typeface(s) being used. Instead, using one or two fonts and manipulating them in different ways can have a greater impact on a design as a whole than using many different ones.

6. Justin Rodriguez

I thought the video consisted of very interesting subjects on typography and included very eccentric people. I was inspired by the artistic freedom that the designers had in all of their work. I am excited to learn more about the different fields that typography can lead you into. I thought that E. Opara’s use of physical skills in his work was interesting in how he implemented it into typography.

7. Keion

I find Eddie Oparah’s take on Typography as a texture is very interesting, the unique method he goes through for his ideas is amazing. The Klas Bollinger is what piqued my interest. I could see myself trying to find out different methods using inspiration using that mindset and perspective.

• Jada Bellille

I completely agree, upon watching the PBS info graphical video I was immediately drawn to his view and style of design. Eddie’s unique approach peaked interest in typography. awesome that we both share the same interest.

8. Prianne._.

I found the video very interesting and I think that I’ll look at streets signs and “Stylized” writing a little different now. But I don’t see myself going into any Typography heavy careers. I can see myself using typography in a promotional sense, to “get my work out there”, but not much more than that.

9. Gabriel Celik

After viewing Typography and hearing all these famous designers talk about their use with typefaces throughout their tenure, I can easily say I have been inspired to discover more typefaces to really express the message I want to convey.

Paula Scher said, “Words have meaning and type has spirit.” This quote really stuck with me because her quote makes complete sense. If I want to make a sentimental message, I would not use Comic Sans as it would give off a goofy vibe. Instead I would probably want to use Times New Roman for a serious tone to give off. But, with more research I could find a better type face to give the right spirit to my message.

10. Dalek Scientist

I see myself utilizing typography sparingly, only when necessary. I want the things I make to be understood universally, not just in English. In most of the art I create, I use visuals to evoke the feeling or emotion I want to be expressed. I want it to be understood regardless of culture. But that is just for personal art. I do see a possibility of me using typography on public art such as advertisements, or for a graphic to grab peoples atention

11. Sam

I do see myself using typography similar to the designers I seen in the video. I specifically enjoyed the design that had that an optical Illusion to it. I find it very appealing.

12. Sunny Naseem

I see myself using typography similar to the designers as I enjoy the challenge of creating intricate work. The parameters of each project encourage critical thinking and originality.

13. John Shahoud

The way Eddie Opara described text having texture was interesting to me, you can create a feeling of 3-dimensionality using 2-dimensional assets. I can see myself experimenting with these techniques to create more engaging designs. Another thing I took away from this video was Paula Scher and Eddie Opara talking about designing for a specific audience and evoking a feeling in them, even if they are negative feelings you’re still drawing attention to your work.

14. Amir D. Akram

Hello!

I saw a lot of my hopes for my design career embodied through the designers in this video. When Paula Scher mentioned her career developing by doing album covers for different musicians, my heart fluttered. I am a big music fan (as well as a musician myself) and have wanted to work at or create a design firm that specializes in developing visual language for local and touring musicians merchandise. However, I feel my design language and application will revolve around what I have learned from graffiti artist and tattoo artist in my life. I see myself creating murals, tattooing, and designing clothing utilizing typography.