In the past week blogs, we discussed why is it important to use python as your programming language. However not everyone likes using the same language, but lucky for us there is a major variety of languages that we can choose from. From which one is Scratch. Scratch is a programming language and an online community where we can program and share interactive media such as stories, games, and animation with people from all over the world. As we create with Scratch, we learn to think creatively, work collaboratively, and reason systematically. Its a really easy language to learn even if you don’t know anything about programming.
The advantages of using scratch are listed below:
1) Scratch allows for young people to integrate creativity in storytelling, games, and animation. Kids can collaborate on projects through the use of Scratch, and share their projects online.
2) Scratch allows students to develop 21st century skills through the use of technology.
3) Scratch can be used by people of all ages including students from elementary- high school ages, and adults in a variety of settings.
4) Scratch is used in over 150 counties and available in over 40 languages. This is great for teachers that are working with bilingual or ESL students.
5) Scratch can be used across curricula and students and teachers can create and share resources via scratch.
6) A major advantage of scratch is that it is a free program so people can access and utilize scratch for both personal and academic use.