From the Field

The Cooper-Hewitt museum was really fun and intriguing trip. Some of the interesting exhibits were the Pixar animation, Poster designs and the architecture exhibition. I spent most of my time in the poster design and graphics section. There is also a digital stylist pen that is very easy to use. I feel it’s an efficient way of note taking. The pen worked as an interactive stylist that saves information about designs you liked or enjoyed. Ā To save the information about a poster or art piece just press the other end of the stylist against a small cross symbol. The stylist can be used on touch screens to find other pieces of art pieces, and designs in the Cooper-Hewitt. The stylist works as you draw a illustration on one of the touch screens, a similar design or art piece will pop up. I really loved that you can retrieve all the designs you enjoy on the website with a code. Instead of just having to take notes yourself and possibly forget something. The pen really saves a lot of time and helps in getting great notes about the exhibits.

6307_f57f725c0cf18e7e_nĀ American Airlines poster by Edward Mcknight, 1948

The image displayed is of a New York City skyscraper with a typographic title American Airlines above the skyscraper. This poster reminded me of vector illustration someone would’ve made now. It seems very modern it looks very similar to a noir feel to it. It also has this cartoon feel to itā€™s overall design of the buildings. This poster has ā€œminimal color paletteā€ of mostly white, light blue, black and different values of white. I think that the ā€œAmerican Airlinesā€ type design is very nice addiction to the design because it blends in with the light blue sky and the clouds. Which gave off a nice little contrast in color to pop the words out.

101251_fc283983e2c8370f_zĀ Aids Crisis by Gang, 1990

Another poster I enjoyed was the ā€œAids Crisisā€ by Gang released in 1990. This poster depicts George Bush Sr. as a cowboy with a lasso. This poster looks like old Marlboro cigarette packaging. Thereā€™s also a warning disclaimer on the bottom that says ā€œ George Bush is playing cowboy. while 37 million Americans donā€™t have healthcare. One American dies of aids every minute.ā€ I had a feeling that the designers who made this poster must really dislike George Bush. It reminded me of the different PSAs about Aids in 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s my health class in high school use to show. The color palette are minimal as well with a bright red, white and black for the warning disclaimer. The design of it works kind of like a cigarette advertisement. I like the concept a lot I feel it gets the point across that Bush isn’t taking enough action on the aids epidemic. I liked that designer used the basis of a Marlboro ad for the design of George Bush playing cowboy. I felt it perfectly fit with the concept of Bush playing cowboy because I always thought of Marlboro advertisement as a western cigarette company.

The Cooper-Hewitt was a blast in learning new elements that I can possibly use in the future on my own projects. While also providing innovative note taking techniques with the digital stylist. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Art, Animation or design.