Thinking A Word Twice

Glossary Words:
  1. Articulate
  2. Pensive
  3. Umbrage
  4. Commensurate
  5. Stoicism
  6. Hindsight
  7. Taciturn
  8. Incredulous
  9. Trifles
  10. Commence
  11. Disdainful
  12. Gallantry

The glossary assignment for this semester included finding words within various readings given in class or assigned and looking up the definition of it when we were unsure. Each glossary word I encountered were words I had no idea of the meaning within the context being given. The assignment comprised of finding its actual definition and explaining why we understand the word more clearly after finding its definition. This means including the date, the title of the article/story including author and page or quote of the given word. The assignment affected my reading process. When I was reading the articles originally, I would stumble upon words that were confusing to me and in a way I would circle them or skip over it and proceed to finish the reading. However, with this assignment I would find myself scanning the readings for those same words I circled and rereading the same word twice or even more than twice. I would refer back to the text when doing this assignment to understand the definition clearer. It also affected my comprehension because I would realize there are many words I start to see as I am reading that does not sound familiar to me. There were many cases I found certain words such as “Taciturn” or “Stoicism” that it was my first time hearing of the word. It furthered my comprehension in a way because I started using the same words I have used from glossary assignments into my own essays or homework assignments. The glossary assignment has also affected my coordination with classmates for this crowd-sourced project because certain of my classmates knew the words that I had not. When we would share words we found in readings, I realized there were a lot of cases where classmates knew the word and it was my first time finding out that word’s definition. There was also cases in which both my classmate and I had no idea about certain words in readings. We would look up the words in class discussions and talk about it together to understand the meaning more in depth. This glossary assignment has taught me to always take my time to think twice when reading. Even when I think I may have an idea of what the word means, the definition may be completely different. Also, every word is used in a different context for readings so you have to take time to understand what meaning is used for what context. These glossary assignments allowed me to gain a better understanding of unfamiliar words and adding to my vocabulary.