Glossary

Glossary Assignment

Glossary Project: Due Weekly, 12 times this semester

Throughout the semester, we will place a great deal of importance on defining words, both terminology that will help us describe, analyze, and discuss our reading and writing, and vocabulary that will help us better understand the material we encounter. To complete this assignment, you will choose a word that you encounter in our assigned readings, on the course site, in our class discussions, or in research materials for this course, and write a blog post in which you do the following:

1. include only the word in the subject line of the post
  2. in the post, provide the word and its part of speech (noun, verb, adjective, etc)
  3. define the word you have chosen, making sure you’re using the most appropriate definition, which might not be the first one listed in the dictionary
  4. cite the source of your definition–I recommend Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, although you might need to consult a different kind of dictionary depending on the word (e.g. a field-specific dictionary, an urban dictionary, a foreign language dictionary, etc)
  5. identify where you encountered the word (specify the page of a particular reading, date of the class discussion, title of the handout, etc) and quote the passage (or paraphrase if you can’t quote someone’s speech)
  6. explain for the readers of our site the written or spoken passage now that you understand the word. It is not acceptable to merely write “Now I understand the passage because I understand what this word means.” If you do, you will not get credit for that entry.
  7. (optional but encouraged) include links and images that help your classmates understand the word or the context
  8. choose the category that labels your entry in the right sidebar (if your posts are not labeled with the correct category, I won’t see them to give you credit for them)

These posts will contribute to a shared glossary for our course, available from the blog menu. Since I expect you to look up any words you don’t know, and to read all blog posts, any glossary entries can appear on quizzes or exams. You are expected to post a minimum of one glossary entry per week. Omitting any part of the required information will negatively affect the grade you receive as part of your blogging grade.

You will need to write a final post to reflect back on the glossary entries you’ve completed this semester.

Final Post: 

Please write a post that includes the following information:

• Give it a title
  • Choose the category Glossary Reflection
  • In the post, make a list of the 12 or more words that you included in your glossary–-just the words in a list.
  • Then write a reflection about the glossary assignment for the semester. Think about how it affected your reading process, your comprehension, your coordination with classmates for this crowd-sourced project, etc. This should be approximately 250-300 words.
  1. Vigorously
  2.   Genial
  3. Faltered
  4. Commenced
  5. Feminism
  6. Outstripped
  7. Noncognitive
  8. angling
  9. emasculate
  10. Seldom
  11. Oblivious
  12. Stratum

This was my very first time doing this. This method by prof Garcia is very effective based on learning and understanding the meaning of each word when reading. I was surprised at first when the teacher asked us to do this because do college students really do this ? I was shocked,but it came to me as something to provide help without using a dictionary in the future. Prof Garcia is trying to prepare us to start reading and already know a words meaning as soon as it comes to head to because in the future dictionary’s a tool that we can always have on our side.

Vigorously

The word vigorously can be found on page 277 on the article “Sweat”. In the article the word vigorously was used on the line ” he began to stir vigorously.” The word vigorously means to put great strength into based on dictionary.com. The author used the word vigorously because in the article Delilah’s husband Sykes tried to use a snake to his advantage and scare her away. When she realizes the snake starts moving vigorously because the snake is putting strength to move around.

Genial

On the article ” Jury of her Peers ” the word genial was used on characterizing Mr.Peter’s job. The word genial means to be warmly pleasant or comfortable based on dictionary.com. The word genial is found in the line ” Mr.Peters a sheriff- heavy man who is genial with the law-bidding” .I found the word genial to be interesting because when reading it at first I thought they were describing Mr.Peters but the author wanted it to be based on his work.

Faltered

In the article “A Jury of her Peers” the word faltered caught my attention on the line “There’s something wrapped up in this peace of silk”, faltered Mrs.Hale”. The meaning of faltered based on dictionary.com means to hesitate. Based on the article Mrs.Hale saw something that even she was nervous talking about it.

commenced

On the ninth paragraph of the article “Sweat’ the word commenced stood out to me. The word commenced means to begin or start based on dictionary.com. I chose the word commenced because based on the story Delilah’s husband Skyes was upset that her job was cleaning clothes and when he knocked it down after it was finished she had to redo it which was to me petty.

Feminism

Word defined by Merriam-Webster: feminism(noun): The theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.Organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.The second definition of “feminism” is used in ” What Feminist can do for Boys” in the fifth paragraph. The author, Jessica Valenti says that feminism provides a means of women to escape the sexist status . An example as I view the word Feminism is:Some major acts of feminism occured in the mid-1800s, for example, The  Women’s Rights Movement in which women’s right leaders such as Susan B. Anthony and Sojourner Truth fought for equal voting rights for women.

outstripped

Based on dictionary.com the word outstripped  means to outdo or outperform. In the article ” Teaching men to be emotionally honest” the author used the word outstrip on the line “It should come as no surprise that college enrollment rates for women have outstripped men’s.”  to compare women to men based on the college enrollment rate. While reading this article the word outstripped stood out to me because I never knew that females have outstripped man in college enrollment.

noncognitive

In the article “The Boys are Back” , the word noncognitive came upon to my attention when I didn’t understand the word on the line “The scholars attributed this “misalignment” to differences in “noncognitive skills” . Based on dictionary.com the word noncognitive is an adjective meaning to act concerned, but still knowing.

angling

Andrew Reiner, the author of “Talking to boys the way we talk to girls” used the word angling on paragraph 3. Based on the Merriam-Webster dictionary the word angling is a noun and it means the sport of fishing. Based on the sentence ” When fathers appear in children’s picture books, they’re angling for laughs, taking their sons on adventures or modeling physical strength or stoic independence ” . The author used the word as a term where it’s common for a father-son activity to do.

emasculate

Based on the site Dictionary.com the word emasculate means to deprive a man from his role. In the article “The Boys are not all right”on the first line the word emasculate was used to show as a mockery to a male. “I used to have this one-liner: “If you want to emasculate a guy friend, when you’re at a restaurant, ask him everything that he’s going to order”.