Disdainful

Disdainful (adjective): full of or expressing contempt for someone or something regarded as unworthy or inferior, full of or expressing scorn or disdain.

The word disdainful I encountered when reading the story entitled, “A Jury of Her Peers” by Susan Glaspell. On page 155, it states that, “Then, as if releasing herself from something strange. Mrs. Hale began to arrange the dirty pans under the sink, which the county attorney’s disdainful push of the foot had deranged”. I have encountered this word numerous times after reviewing the story on Thursday, November 15th, 2018. When I stumbled upon this word, I was unsure of the meaning within the context in the story. It was describing two different events occurring; one with Mrs. Hale and one of the county attorney’s. I assumed the word disdainful meant something unpleasing to a certain extent. I assumed it was because the county attorney had “shoved” the pans as if he was scooting them over. I see it has a deeper meaning than that because following that paragraph Mrs. Hale was talking about men criticizing them and snooping. I see it means now to express contempt and feeling inferior because within that society women are inferior to the men. They are seen to perform tasks such as housekeeping and are still scorned if it is not to the men’s liking.