Commensurate

According to Merriam-Webster, the word commensurate is defined as corresponding or equal to measure, extent or degree. The word commensurate it an adjective that is described in the article entitled, “The Boys Are Not Alright” by Michael Ian Black. On September 30th, 2018 I encountered the word while reading this article describing masculinity and how men do not act vulnerable in the way they should. The word commensurate can be found on page one of the article towards the ending of the page. When I stumbled upon the word, my initial reaction was that this was a new heard of word to me. I was thinking from context clues that the word meant to be hidden or left behind. It states, “Boys, though, have been left behind. No commensurate movement has emerged to help them navigate toward a full expression of their gender”. When I read the word first, I thought to be left behind because the prior sentence was discussing the topic of boys being misguided and hidden from the movement. I now understand the word after looking at the dictionary meaning of it because I see in this case the term is used to describe how to movements involving feminism are not as equal as any movement or discussion involving boys. For years now we have built up a female priority in discussing women abuse and violence they deal with, but, fail to correspond or equalize to the men who deal with the same.