Home work

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Home work

Winnie Lee
    Participant

U4/CH1 Blog it!

Who is responsible for helping children grow up healthy?

People in general, especially parents, should take care of what their children must consume daily. Parents should be responsible to teach their children what is a nutritious meal and what is not. If parents don’t control their children’s diet, they will be affected by diseases such as diabetes, or obesity that if it is not treated quickly, it can provoke death. That’s why in schools, children are learning about the nutrition chart, the correct aliments that can bring proteins, carbohydrates and fiber to the organism, etc. Parents are the solution to permit their children to grow up healthy.

U4/Ch 2, Blog it !

What is your reaction to the issues being discussed in this chapter?

I believe sugar-sweetened beverages have the same consequences as smoke. Unfortunately both make people sick and cause suffering or painful death. In fact everything people use in excess is bad . For example, if someone drinks exact amount (or not too much) of sugar-sweetened beverages and the same for smoke, it might not be (or won’t be) a problem, but if someone drinks or smokes excessively, of course that will create him/her a serious health problem. I agree that the government tax them a lot of money, that could discourage them to buy those lethal products.

U4/Ch 2, Website it !

Find another article from a daily newspaper that discusses soda drinks and childhood obesity. Present its main ideas to your class.

In” Soda Drinks And Childhood Obesity “, by David S Ludwig, Karen E Peterson, Steven L Gortmaker, from internet ” http://www.süssstoff-verband.de/download/SHOW/service/downloadservice/wissenschaft/wiss_the_lancet_sugar-sweetened-drinks_childhood-obesity.pdf “, the article talks about children obesity in part caused by consuming sugar-sweetened drinks. The text mentioned after a studied for 19 months from October, 1995, to May 1997 has been done from public schools in four Massachusetts communities by 548 ethnically diverse schoolchildren age 11.7 years. They examine the association between baseline consumption and the change in consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks that totally variables of results in schools. The article concluded that” in the short-term, most individuals effectively compensate for excess energy consumption by eating less at subsequent meals. In the long-term, changes in body-weight elicit physiological adaptations, involving hunger and rate of metabolism, that tend to restore baseline body-weight. Indeed, there is no evidence that consumption of sugar affects food intake in a unique manner or causes obesity”.

Minyu Chen

U4/Ch2, Blog it!

I think introducing tax on soft beverages is unfair and inhumanely, because it is unfair that let soda becoming more and more expensive. I think it’s our own responsibility to control what we should eat or drink. If the people who can’t control themselves, get an extra large soda and get obese. It’s their responsibility. They should pay for it.

Minyu Chen

U4/Ch2, Website it!

The article ” Soft Drink Intake Linked to Childhood Obesity” is posted on ABC NEWS by Emma Ross. Here is the link http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117618&page=1#.UXNFPOSsiSo. She believes that soda drinks are contributing to the rising obesity epidemic among children. In this article, Emma shows us the relationship between sugar and weight gain in children by using the study from France’s Institute of Health and Medical Research. We can see that soda drinks are becoming a serious problem toward children. At the end, she concludes that childhood obesity has been linked to later development of diabetes, heart disease, cancer and arthritis.

Winnie Lee
    Participant

U4/CH2 Website it!
    The article “Children’s Obesity Fund warns of health risks from sugary soft drinks” is about a non profit organization who wants to bring awareness to the community to prevent them from the soda consumption due to its health consequences. Besides they want to warn adults, they also especially want to teach and help children to limit their consumption of sweetened beverages because the problem of childhood obesity has incremented a lot during the past years. it is proved from an American Health Association conference that the soda consumption has lead to grave diseases such as diabetes type 2, heart problems, and of course, obesity. Michael Bloomberg wanted to promote the restriction of selling soft drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces, but apparently it has been a controversial topic because people think that this is against of the consumers’s rights. According to a study from Global Burden of Diseases, it has found that nearly 25,000 deaths per year has been provoked due to the consumption of soft drinks. Therefore, this organization wants to help people in general, and make them really see the obesity issue that is expanding nowadays.
    http://www.12newsnow.com/story/21952047/childrens-obesity-fund-warns-of-health-risks-from-sugary-soft-drinks

Winnie Lee
    Participant

U4/CH2 Blog it!

What is your reaction to the issue discussed in this chapter?

I think pricing higher the soda would not be a good solution because as Dereck Yach said, people would think if this product is expensive, they can eat another thing. People will still getting fat, obese because if they cannot consume sugar, they will consume fat. I think that the government should look for other alternatives to solve this problem. However, there’s also the possibility of the people help. if people would be conscious about the consequences of the soda consumption, everything will be better. They will not be affected by diseases, and also they would have a healthy better life. This is responsability of the consumer. if he or she doesnt want to suffer the consequences of buying sweetened beverages more exoensive, so they should help.

amarou010
    Participant

knowing that obesity is one of the diseases that kills a lot of Americans every year, every one must take his responsibility to ban this illness. I agree on one of the issues that says we can add tax on sugary drinks. Adding tax will be follow by positive results: less consumption of sugary drinks, less spend on our health sector by curing that disease and a profit for the government. Another way also to reduce the consumption sodas is to reduce the sizes as Mayor Michel Bloomberg said.

amarou010
    Participant

BAH AMAROU
    U4/chap(2)
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/banning-the-big-gulp-ban

In the article from “The New York Times” it says sodas might just be the biggest killers via preventable disease in the country. Yet just as 32 ounces seems to be the new normal, so does death by preventable disease. The author says”he would’ve been proud had New York been the first city in the country to do something novel and concrete about this issue, just as I would be proud if the United States were the first country in the world to take on Big Sugar.” There’s plenty of evidence that sugar calories are worse for you than calories from other foods.Reducing the size is a way to decrease the consumption of sugary drinks.

04/26/13
    Bezer Jean-Louis
    To Prof. Alatriste

U4/Ch 3. Blog it !

What’s your reaction to the information given in the press release summary?

I agree with Mr. Felix Ortiz about his suggestion regarding health problems and childhood obesity in our society. It’s really important to encourage children doing exercise instead of watching TV. Thus, lots of fast food advertisement promoted in TV tend them to buy those fast food products. Furthermore, when Mr. Ortiz required fast food industries to put labels in their products and even in their menus, surcharge on certain foods, video games and other entertainments, TV, as well required to increase school activities, all that are very preventable for children to become healthy and save them from obesity, heart disease and cancer. It’s also important to encourage children eating vegetables, doing physical activities and avoid them wasting long time in watching TV.

Minyu Chen

U4/CH3 Blog it.

I think this article discusses a serious problem of obesity in NYC. Obesity causes the disease, that’s why there are many deaths each year linked to obesity. And the amount of childhood obesity is increasing too. There are several reasons that cause childhood obesity, such as fast food, snacks, soft drinks, and decrease opportunities for exercise and physical activity. Like Ortiz says,” We need to act now to prevent a ticking time bomb that will overwhelm our health care system and resources in the coming years.” I think he is right. I agree with him because children’s health is relative to our country. If our people are health and strong, our country will be stronger.

Winnie Lee
    Participant

U4/CH3 Blog it!

I agree with the critical thinking that Mr. Ortiz has about these issues that are presented in this chapter. I didnt know that today we have such a big number like 300,000 deaths in adults and children every year because of obesity problems and also from tobacco. This statistic is alarming, so we had better put an effort in making decisions and finding solutions to solve this problem that we are dealing with nowadays. I think adults would be easier to help them to combat their obesity and tobacco addiction if they cooperate themselves as well. However, i think that the most important generation of people that we must really help is our children because they are the main target of this problem. They dont have so much knowledge about what is going on, so adults have to help them by trying to control the causes such as tv and advertising, school policies, suburban development, etc.

05/19/13
    Bezer Jean-Louis
    To Prof. Alatriste

Blog it! U6/Ch3.

Bullying is a common occurrence among kids and teenagers in most schools, specially within peers, in school buses as well. Bullying is a big problem. Psychological and mental damages from this social issue suppose to be considered and legally examined. Therefore, making strong decisions that can reduce and even stop this bad conducts among peers is fundamental to make the students confident and self-confident.
    Bullying can make kids feel hurt, scared, sick, lonely, depressed, embarrassed and scared. Even if school bus driver is paid, sometimes he cannot help prevent these incidents from occurring. By the way, not all children or teenagers who are bullied or harassed ask for help.
    I think this awful behavior deserve harsher punishments. If something is harmful and can even cause depression, sadness or suicide, it is a crime and people who commit it should be treated like criminals. Everything that seeks to humiliate others or make them feel as insignificant as they feel is extremely bad.
    Bullying, as well harassment, should be viewed as a potential criminal offense, be recorded and fully investigated. Bullied children or teens feel like
    they are being violated in more ways than one. I agree with the idea to put an end to this wild comportment.

Blog it! U6/Ch4

It really important to be safe especially at school because our mind suppose to focus on learning. People can not learn if they feel their life is in danger or scary at school. I agree with the idea to implement video camera in school. It’s important to give students handouts with safety tips, to do background checks on most of students, if any because that can reveal students history of violence, or crime, or psychological issues. It’s really everyone’s job to make school campus a safer and a better place to study.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.