Home work

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Home work

Kazi Naznin
    Participant

Dr. Lalatriste
    Happy spring break. I want to ask you that how are we submitting our spring break H/W.
    And if you PLEASE can us know which chapter is due on what date.

Thank You
    Kazi Naznin

Hi Naznin,

The entire Unit 3 is due. I sent an email to all to city tech email about the assignments:
    Do Discuss it for each in the book
    Do website it and Blog it on Open lab for each chapter in Unit 3.

Prof. A

Website it and Blog it : U3/Ch2
    I realize the article “Interest Grows in Urban Farms: City’s Green Movement Has Ear Of Wall Street” by Danielle Sonnenberg, amNew York from http://gothamgreens.com/files/pdf/interest_grows_urban_farms.pdf, is very interesting when the citizens and the city government work together to improve urban farms. They try to involve Wall Street into sectors that need money to progress and those investments can help to built an urban agriculture that could generate jobs. I was happy to read this article because I remember in my country, Haiti especially in Jacmel the city government works together with the rural farmers just to help them improve a better economy by lending them supply to cultivate the land and even loan them money to buy seeds and help them watering the land in dry season. In my opinion, it is the same as Scott Stringer when he helps the rural farmers in NYC. Above mentioned in the link, referring to the second line in this text, Mr. Martin Schreibman, a Brooklyn College professor and director of the school’s Aquatic Research and Environmental Assessment Center, creates a tilapia farm at his research center, which can help to improve a sustainable economic entry and also generate a better life.

Summary of U3/Ch2:

In “Interest Grows in Urban Farms: City’s Green Movement Has Ear Of Wall Street” by Danielle Sonnenberg, amNew York from http://gothamgreens.com/files/pdf/interest_grows_urban_farms.pdf, the author tells us that the citizens work together with city government to see the way they can improve health, food and environment, which are commercially viable for urban farms. According to the text the CEO of NewSeed, Janine Yorio and some of NewSeed Advisors regrouped with the city’s first sustainable agriculture investment to see if they can involve Wall Street into a sector that needs money to progress. That meeting was focused on economics. By the text, Mr. Scott Stringer, the Manhattan borough president believes possible economic potential in urban farms. The article concludes that Mr. Stringer wants to make partnerships with rural farmer and they can create an urban agriculture that could generate thousands of entry-level jobs.

UNIT 3 “CHAPTER 3”
    SUMMARY
    In “For Latino Group, Health and Savings Grow in Backyard Gardens” by Patricia Leigh Brown, The New York Times, the author tells us residents of the City’s Low-Income, mainly Latino neighborhoods in San Jose, were assisted by a Nonprofit Group called ” Las Mesa Verde or Green Table” to grow their own organic produce. So, they used their backyard vegetable garden to produce fresh food and vegetables with intent to feed healthy the poor Latin community and help them resolve some food issues. The author concluded that residents had no place to get fresh produce, so now they have the pathway to do that, as well mentor new families and keep the knowledge base in the community.
    BLOG IT! (U3/Ch3)
    Mesa Verde’s food Initiative is not at all a bad idea, because it tends to help and incite communities to take decision and participate in social project relevant to their lives and health. In that way, by seeing the importance, effect or results of such a project, they can work together to develop strategies and spread this initiative to other neighborhoods, more people can be interested dependently on the results of these projects.
    I think also that other great measures and incentives can be considered to make communities more encourage and involve.

WEBSITE IT (U3/Ch3)
    SOURCE: From http://www.bqlt.org/About/WhatWeDo/ – Brooklyng Queeen Land Trust (BQLT)
    CHANGING COMMUNITIES IN BROOKLYN (BQLT)
    Brooklyn Queens Land Trust (BQLT) is one of the community garden fruit and vegetable projects in low-income neighborhoods. It’s an area that lacks good food and fresh vegetables. So, volunteer members in the community try to combine efforts in order to change their lives. So, many BQLT gardens are located in lower income communities, where access to fresh produce may be scarcer than in more affluent neighborhoods, while nutrition-based disease (such as obesity and diabetes) is more prevalent. Having the means to independently raise nutritious food right on a Brooklyn block is one step toward improving the health of these communities.
    These BQLT gardens, nowsaday opened to all living in the community, have been used for multiple activities, mainly in urban agriculture. In other words, approximately 92% of all the gardens are used to grow a variety of fruits and vegetables for the gardeners, their families and their community. They also serve as an open-air classroom for students of all ages, and some of them are used by day care centers to allow the children time to play outside and to experience gardening and to play in the dirt.
    One of the main idea is to achieve environmental and educational programs in the gardens to teach students about planting and growing vegetables, taking a practical approach to earth sciences. BQLT gardens seek to make minimal negative impact on the environment.
    They believe they can initiate their project using vacant lots and public green spaces and account to it. Now BQLT gardens are a space that brings the community together.

Good Job , Jean Louis, really like your website choice!

Thank you prof. Alatriste.

UNIT 4 “CHAPTER 4”

Summary (U4/Ch4)

In “New York City Community gardens Are In Full Bloom”, by Lubie Grujicic – Alatriste, the author tells us people in their neighborhood regroup to create organizations and work together to collect fund and raise some money from local businesses, and local government or parks departments to make their neighborhoods cleaner and more beautiful. Ms. Alatriste, by supporting her idea, has given some examples regarding the community garden at Laguardia Place (NYC) is a designated bird Habitat, when saying that in Brooklyn diverse group racial community in sunset Park united to restore local neglected land located between busy roads. The author concluded that the community neighborhoods work at its best to make the neighborhoods nicer and cleaner, and they also bring a piece of joy, as well a piece of mind.

BLOG IT! (U4/Ch4)

What is your reaction to the article about community gardens?
    Do you support this initiative?

I agree with the article regarding community gardens. I definitely support this initiative because I think it’s really worth seeing people get together to brighten up their neighborhoods. It’s really considerable when people serve their community. Those people instead of spending time with their family, work together to restore their neighborhoods and get them nicer and cleaner, as well bring a piece of joy, a piece of mind in their neighborhoods. Those efforts made to relieve their community make me think they deserve respect and gratitude.

Website it! (U4/Ch4)
    Source: from http://www.nyrp.org/Parks_and_Gardens/Community_Gardens/Brooklyn/Target_Community_Garden_-_Brooklyn

In Brooklyn there’s a peaceful community garden, called Target community Garden, whose space was used by an active group of neighborhood gardeners to raise vegetables and herbs. It’s a nice and pleasant place which makes communities live and work daily experience. Around the garden there are eight schools, which makes ideal environmental education and community projects.
    This community garden makes me recall the great times I spent when I was in my hometown, Jacmel, Haiti. There is a Park named Pinchinat where children and teenagers, as well adults used to meet and gather, in a community service to maintain the park attractive and talk about many community projects we moved forward. By Pinchinat’s Park there are several public schools, I used to go to middle and high school named LycĂ©e Pinchinat where I used to enjoy the beauty of Pinchinat’s Park.

Winnie Lee
    Participant

U3/CH4 Blog it! What is your reaction to the article about community gardens? Do you support this initiative?

I think community gardens can bring good values such as happiness and cooperation. They can make the city looks brighter and alive. It is good idea that they have of recreating empty pieces of land that probably have been neglected for many years. There are many people outside that are not conscious about conserving and taking care of the environment that is around them, so that’s why there many environmental problems that now is difficult to control. Moreover, having these kinds of projects make the society get together more and more. I really support this initiative because besides they can beautify the community, they can also help the mother nature.

U3/CH4 Website it!

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_gardening

A community garden is a single piece of land gardened collectively by a group of people. Community gardens provide fresh produce and plants as well as satisfying labor, neighborhood improvement, sense of community and connection to the environment. They are publicly functioning in terms of ownership, access, and management, as well as typically owned in trust by local governments or not for profit associations.
    What are the benefits of community gardens?
    Community gardens may help alleviate one effect of climate change, which is expected to cause a global decline in agricultural output, making fresh produce increasingly unaffordable.[4] Community gardens encourage an urban community’s food security, allowing citizens to grow their own food or for others to donate what they have grown.

Source: http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/about.html

GreenThumb was initiated in response to the city’s financial crisis of the 1970s, which resulted in the abandonment of public and private land. The majority of GreenThumb gardens were derelict vacant lots renovated by volunteers.

These community gardens, now managed by neighborhood residents, provide important green space, thus improving air quality, bio–diversity, and the well–being of residents. But gardens aren’t just pretty spaces; they’re also important community resources.

GreenThumb provides programming and material support to over 500 community gardens in New York City. Workshops, which are the access point for supplies, are held every month of the year, covering gardening basics to more advanced farming and community organizing topics.

GreenThumb gardens are located in all five boroughs in the city. Some are green spaces meant for relaxation and as a community meeting space.

Hi Jean Louis,
    Thank you for doing an amazing job of submitting ALL the homework.

Your responses are thoughtful and good too. Can you please be ready to present your web-site it info for the whole class tomorrow? I will ask you to come out to the smart board and navigate the internet to the site. Please be ready to tell the call about http://www.bqit and http://www.nyrp

Great work!
    Prof. Alatriste

HI Winnie,

Good job! Can you be ready tomorrow to present what you found abut the green thumb website? I will ask you to come to the smart board and navigate the web to show your classmates the website. Please be sure to be ready to talk about it.
    Thanks,
    Prof. Alatriste

BLOG IT U4/CH 1

In your view, who is responsible for helping children grow up healthy?

I believe we all are responsible for helping children grow up healthy, I mean the parents, the government, fast food industries, TV networks that advertise junk food, nutritionists, dietitians, technologies, YMCA, and Gym.
    For additional information, parents could play a really important part in helping children grow up healthy. It’s important that parents cook healthy and put healthy foods in fridge and on the table for their kids. Parents can send their children to YMCA or to the gym to dance or to exercise, these physical activities could help to burn calories and against obesity. The fast food companies should cook healthy food with less grease, fat nutrition to avoid children getting high cholesterol that makes them sick.
    The government could create policy against fast food industries, junk food advertisement, it can help to prevent children illness and reduce obesity. Parents can look for advice from nutritionists and dietitians to know how to prepare healthy food for their children. Even technology can help to create material against obesity.

amarou010
    Participant

U4/chp1

First we can say the parents are responsible for the health of the children. It is the parents who bring food at home, and also the children can’t buy anything without getting money from the parents. Its also their goal to tell the children what kind of food is healthy, good for them. Then come the responsibility of the schools. They have to tell them in class all healthy food, teach them about the inconvenient of fast food and stop selling fast food or giving them in school. Finally come the government responsibility; they to stop or tax more the businesses that sell unhealthy food to our children.

Minyu Chen

U4/CH1

I think parents are responsible for helping children grow up healthy. Because kids are too little to take care of themselves and they don’t even have a mind about what they should eat,or what they shouldn’t eat. They eat every things that their parents give them. That’s why parents are responsible for children’s habit. Parent should keep in mind that always teach them good things and control their diet, and let their children grow up healthy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.