Shyness in education

Education has always shown this hierarchy of power, where if you weren’t good or smart enough you didn’t have a certain level of intelligence. It depends on how many degrees and what those degrees are, for you to have any sort of respect and education in the world or life in general. When somebody is in an intellectual sort of debate they list the amount of degrees they have and what schools they’ve attended to classify their intelligence. I’m a very shy person, if I were to have many degrees I wouldn’t be the type to show them off because I don’t believe that throwing my degrees in somebody’s face is a sign of intelligence. When people in middle school or high school would brag about the grades they get on tests I would never join into those conversations because my grades were always either below or average and if you didn’t have a certain grade on your test you weren’t considered smart in any way. There are different ways someone could be smart, it’s not only book smart to show intelligence. I learned English from my family. We speak in the same way in terms of accent but not in terms of how we use the language. Growing up the people around you influence the way you talk or act. but as I was growing up I didn’t say what they said or how they would say them. Although English is my first and only language, I’m really bad at forming sentences in essays or just in regular conversation. I’ve always been shy so that really affects the way I speak to people and the amount of words I use in conversation, so instead of saying a full sentence I give half sentences or small phrases. In doing those things and not having the strongest writing skills I don’t believe that shows how intelligent I am or could be.

1 Reply to “Shyness in education”

1. I am a shy person which has cause me to fell behind with my speaking skills. English is not my first language but I always wanted to share my ideas to the class but I felt anxious because of the thought that someone would make fun of me.