Letter to James Baldwin

To James Baldwin,

Who would’ve thought a letter written many years ago would be as relevant as it was then as it is now. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to exercise the advice you gave us to properly educate students. To educate students so they’re able to make decisions on their own and take responsibility of their own choices. Unfortunately students that come from minority families instantly are behind all students as they are persecuted not by their actions but by their color of their skin. While we have progressed the line “You know – you know instinctively – that none of this is for you. You know this before you are told. And who is it for and who is paying for it? And why isn’t it for you” still hold truth. Yes many of us have opportunities and abilities to become successful but others still live in poverty due to the lack of opportunity given to our parents. Due to growing up in poverty or less affluent neighborhoods, some may see the higher class lifestyle as unattainable, something we can only one day dream of living. In 2021 we may be more progressive, not allowing such blatant acts of racism, microaggressions are still prominent are more likely in school and work forces. We know we are not defined by the words the aggressor speaks, “I had to realize when I was very young that I was none of those things I was told I was.” realizing one’s worth was not measured by the people around us but by one self has allowed to have words be taken back and used as a form of empowerment.