Research” by Thomas Hawk via Flickr CC BY-NC 2.0

Week 6:

• Dates: Thursday, 10/13-Wednesday, 10/19
  • Meeting Info:

(ENG 1101 is a course that usually meets for 100 minutes twice a week. Our course is a hybrid format: we meet in person for 100 minutes once per week, Tuesdays from 12:00-1:40pm, in Namm 517, but instead of us meeting a second time for 100 minutes each week, you will do classwork asynchronously on your own. If you prefer to work together, you are welcome to join our student support meeting time, kind of a writing lab/writing studio/study space on Zoom on Thursdays, 12:00-1:00.)

In Week 6 Agenda-Part 1, I reminded you about information I had shared to help you finish Project 1: Education Narrative, which was due on Thursday, 10/13. If you haven’t posted your project or your reflection, please review the Week 6 Agenda-Part 1 and reach out to me if you still have questions. I know many of you are still working on the project or reflection, and I’m happy to talk with you to keep you thinking, drafting, and sharing. Like I said in that earlier agenda, in submitting Project 1, it’s your time to shine like the stars you are!

Objectives

• to begin Project 2
  • to visit the library at the start of class on Tuesday, 10/18

To-Do This Week

Actions

• Instead of meeting in our classroom, meet at the entrance to City Tech’s library, on the 4th floor of the Library Building.

Reading

Writing

Using the Project 1 instructions and the directions in the Week 6 Agenda-Part 1,

• post Project 1, either as a public post that everyone can read, or as a private post that only you and I can read
  • post the Project 1 reflection as a private post (again, only you and I can see it)
  • if you’re done with both of these parts of Project 1, participate in our discussion about doing research.

In Class: Library

• library website: library.citytech.cuny.edu
  • One Search–search for everything, including books, ebooks, articles, etc
  • if you search via Articles, you can look through the databases
  • NYTimes: free subscription through CUNY. This also includes NY Times historical, going back to when the newspaper began in the 1800s.
  • if you’re on campus, the website recognizes your IP address. If you’re off campus, you will need to log in with your CUNY login (not your City Tech login).
  • using quotation marks can change a search.
  • obituaries are written in advance.
  • in the databases, click Full Text if you want to be able to get the whole article, not just abstracts or keywords.
  • you can email it, print it.
  • the database will tell you how to cite the resource. You can copy it into your annotated bibliography, but be sure to check it for accuracy because it’s made by robots.
  • How do we evaluate a source?
    • consider relevance–related to when it was published
    • what do you know about the author?
    • what do you know about the publication venue?
    • keywords help you understand what topics the source will cover.
    • is someone paying to publish this, or to get it in front of my eyes? (eg a sponsored result in a search)
  • We already do research already:
    • What research do we already do?
    • where?
    • how?
    • how do we know it’s reliable?
    • how do we know when to stop?