A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Core Value Paragraphs:

Being a morally good person sometimes feels unrewarded. There’s still so much malice that it feels as though acts of kindness are overlooked and forgotten. I believe that being sympathetic to anyone who needs an ear or a generous heart is a reward of its own. I value sympathy, which I believe goes hand in hand with respect, because you never know what a good listener or an understanding person can do for some people. We all make mistakes and we are all troubled, accepting and comprehending that helps me have a more positive perspective on the people I encounter and, in a way, erases the everyday cruelty we’re exposed to.  

I wish to be a more passionate person, or at least a motivated one. So I don’t have much of a goals list. Although, I do know that I want to work with people and more specifically to help people- mentally or physically. My urge to be more sympathetic stems from my desire to help those who allow me to help. I’m not sure in what way, whether it be a teacher, a social worker or a therapist. But I do know that my ticket to success and happiness starts off with me being sympathetic to whoever needs a helping hand. 

I do love to write and I think writing is a beautiful way to express and communicate your emotions whether they are angry, joyful or anxious ones. Writing or even texting helps me to hear those unspoken words or find comfort in the awkward silences of a conversation. In the goals I have for myself and in the career choices I have in mind, I believe that communication skills will be very rewarding and helpful. I can’t help people without speaking to them. Communicating can also be through an email or a letter, which is where good writing skills will come in handy. 

1. Lisa Cole

A really thoughtful and engaging response, Emily!