“Perhaps the most notable genre of ‘The Onion’ is its headlines.  The purpose of these headlines is simple: to make the reader respond by laughing. While many of the articles are also entertaining, the majority of the humor is produced through the headlines” (page 254).  This quote is saying that you would need to find an interesting way to grab the readers attention. Otherwise, the audience wouldn’t be interested in your writing piece.

When people write, they draw on the genres they know, their own context of genres, to help construct their rhetorical action. If they encounter a situation new to them, it is the genres they have acquired in the past that they can use to shape their new action”(page 259). Usually people get creative with their own writing including multiple genres. However, If people do not use creativity it would defeat the purpose of it all.

Kenny Dirk is trying to send a message that knowledge can help a writer work with several different topics rather than only the basic knowledge of “genre”. I think that the genre of thesis statements would still be a type of way to help me later on as well as provide different good information for Unit 2. The fact that the genre of a thesis statement would be a reasonable topic of choice which is a certain tactic that could make it a good potential source for my future topics. When it comes to genres I think that some genres that I feel I would be familiar with really well are narratives and essays. The rhetorical devices that would be included in this topic are similes, metaphors, and personifications. I feel that when theres a certain form it is better and this helps my writing in a way which helps me make my writing more interesting