Annotation:

“The purpose of education, finally, is to create in a person the ability to look at the world for himself, to make his own decisions, to say to himself this is black or this is white, to decide for himself whether there is a God in heaven or not.” I like this quote because it shows that you’re able to ask questions that you wanted an answer to.

” As adults, we are easily fooled because we are so anxious to be fooled.  children are very different. Children, not yet aware that it is dangerous to look too deeply at anything, look at everything, look at each other, and draw their conclusions.” This quote shows how children are not aware of how dangerous this world and society are.

“Now if I were a teacher in this school or any Negro school, and I was dealing with Negro children, who were in my care only a few hours every day and would then return to their homes and to the streets, children who have an apprehension of their future which with every hour grows grimmer and darker, I would try to teach them- I would try to make them know- that those streets, those houses, those dangers those agonies by which they are surrounded, are criminal.” This quote shows that children need to learn how dangerous and dark this world is and they should be aware of their surroundings at all times.

Response to Baldwin:

When James Baldwin refers to the world is larger, he meant that the American history is terrible and students should look more into this topic and research themselves about the beautiful and terrible sides of it. They should examine themselves whether they agree with it or not. I personally think its a necessity to learn about life lessons and things to avoid in life because since we live in a world that anything can happen to us. and even communicating in general. I believe majority of the people in this current society doesn’t know how to communicate with each other well and knowing how to communicate and knowing what’s going on around you is extremely important because knowing how to stay alert can save yourself from a lot of troubles. “Now if I were a teacher in this school or any Negro school, and I was dealing with Negro children, who were in my care only a few hours every day and would then return to their homes and to the streets, children who have an apprehension of their future which with every hour grows grimmer and darker, I would try to teach them- I would try to make them know- that those streets, those houses, those dangers those agonies by which they are surrounded, are criminal.” This quote relates to this topic because everybody should have the obligations to learn more about how dangerous this world and society is.