School was not for me until I was finally heard.  

Dating back to my earliest memory of education, I have always felt that school was never for me. I have always felt a disconnect between me and school. Don’t get me wrong I liked learning, it was the teachers, rules, and hierarchy I disliked. Much like Oliveraz most of my teachers taught via the banking method. We, the students were just expected to take in as much information as we could and never question authority. Most days, a debate or misunderstanding would erupt between me and my teachers. Which started because I would calmly voice my opinions, as I would put it, that were viewed as disrespect. Shutting up and being a human educational sponge was something I could never do. Learning was very different but it was something I had to do, especially since education was an exaggeratedly important part of my household. 

School was a battlefield. Every day going into school I had this mindset that it was either going to be me or the teachers. And of course, I chose myself. However, this always resulted in a conflict since I was not going to betray my morals and up bring just to make some teacher happy. Constantly bickering with the teacher made my school life very stressful and hard which in return harmed my grade. Like my grades were terrible, I knew that I could have done better but when situations are designed for you to fail there is a slim chance of success. One time while in my home economics class, I remember my teacher was grading the work she gave us during class, it was near the end of class and I was the last person in the line. So it is my turn I walk up to her desk in the front of the class, place my book on the table then proceed to put my hands on my hips and talk to my friends. She then told me to move my hands which I did. A few minutes later my hands were on my hips again and I was doing it subconsciously. She then started to raise her voice and I did the same in return. Soon after a screaming match erupted between us that was loud enough for the whole class to hear, but not to disturb the other classes on the floor. The whole thing turned into a big situation to the point where she stopped calling my name when taking attendance and refuse to acknowledge my existence. This did not bother me cause we did not get along before the incident and her leaving me alone was a plus. As for my attendance, I didn’t mind that either because I knew I was going to school and I knew that she was the one that was not doing her job. This was soon resolved after a long and honest conversation. This conversation evoked something in me, it had me thinking as it was the first time I had witnessed a teacher apologize for their wrongdoing. It was a beacon of hope as it was around the time my perspective on school started to change and that one conversation was the main reason. 

However, this drastically changed while in an American high school. Life in the Caribbean was an extremely different experience than the life I have now in the U.S in every aspect ranging from school to home. Within a few days, I was ready for my first day of High School in the U.S. There are no words to express the lack of hope, enthusiasm, and motivation I felt about having to go to school again. As I thought it was going to be a repetition of what I have always experienced. On my first day of high school, I remember being pretty nervous and just saddened at the fact that I would finish high school without being allowed the chance to truly express myself. With all that I was facing in school, the weather made it worse. Having to leave the comfort of one’s warm and cozy house to battle the freezing cold weather outside was something I was not prepared for. One would think that when leaving the comfort of their home to travel in the cold to get to school. The polite thing the school could do is make sure the heaters are working but no. The classrooms were as cold as outside and still some students were asking the teacher to open the windows. The weather and school took a while to get used to. My English class was the only class that truly excited me. On a regular Friday afternoon, I vividly remember being very excited for my 7th period English class( not because it was my last class of the day or week.) I was genuinely excited to be in the class since we were assigned an essay where we had to write about our views on a specific historical event of our choice that we connected with. The most efficient way I  express myself is through writing, so having to write about something that I am passionate about somewhat restored my faith in school. To top it off, my English teacher, Ms. Juarez was very nice, understanding, and motivating. She treated every student as if they were her child. She changed my perspective on school and how one should learn. The classwork she assigned and the conversations we had challenged me to think outside my norms which broadened my perspective as a whole. 

It is not a secret the American school system differs from those in other countries. While in a Caribbean high school education and learning were solely based on retaining as much information as you possibly could. The Caribbean educational environment is a place the teachers taught and the students learned no in between. The chance to voice one’s opinion or question the abuse of authority was never allowed. However, American high school eluded a safe space where everyone was a student no matter the title they held. Teachers often asked the students their opinion on occurring or past events that may have affected them in some way. Teachers were aware of the fact that they do not know everything there is in the world. To them, this is an advantage, coming into the classroom they know students had different experiences and knowledge. Creating a place where every student felt heard was more important than retaining information since everyone has their unique style of learning.