A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Education Narrative Discussion

In class we have been discussing about education narrative. From everything we’ve read so far there are a few ingredients to the education narrative genre. From what I read so far you need to able to tell a story that can come from anywhere and make sure the reader has a connection with your story or is able to learn from the story you tell. You can use your own experience from life and turn into a learning experience in your story. I think people find stories more interesting if they can find a connection between themselves and the story that is being told. For example, in the story Mother Tongue Amy Tan talks about how some people who aren’t able to speak fluent English can be described as “limited” or “broken”. I can relate to this because I live with people that aren’t fluent in English but that doesn’t mean they are “limited” or “broken”. But I do have my own concerns when making my own education narrative. My concerns are that I don’t think I have a story to tell for the audience to be able to connect to or learn from.  I’ve never been a good storyteller when writing so I’m hoping for this education narrative I will be able to make a good story of my own for the readers to connect and learn from.

1. Lisa Cole

Great discussion, Jordan.