A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Bunn Assignment

In the essay “How To Read Like A Writer” by Mike Bunn he talks alot about his techniques in his writing and his thoughts. I really liked the beginning of the essay because he told us a little bit of his life with his “security” job. I hope eventually he found those 5 fire extinguishers locations later on in his job. Some things he talked about were using a highlighter and marking key points on page 82 “you’ll end up with a useful list of specific techniques to have at your disposal when it comes time to begin your own writing”. This is something I agree with because I use it in my writing. I find it very useful for the future. I use words everyday in my life for everything communicating, expressing myself and needs.

The list goes on but in the essay he talked about how sometimes professors want us to read a certain way but never teach us how too because they are busy teaching us how to write. That made me think a lot because we use our words to read but there are many ways to read with our voice that we aren’t aware of. I thought that was very eye opening. I think if I open my mind up a bit with learning more ways to better express myself with my words that can help me in college or even in my writing. Something I’d like to try is maybe started with a quote that was something that never crossed my mind but I’d like to try not to sound corny but it sounds dangerous in the writing world to me because I’ve always looked at that as forbidden. Something else I’d like to try is practicing the technique of asking myself questions while reading the purpose of writing and the intended audience. By asking myself those questions I can better assess my reading and locate the key points I need. Overall I thought the essay was fun to read because it felt like he was speaking to us and I wasn’t just reading something to read.

1. Lisa Cole

An excellent response to the Bunn assignment and good annotations, but next time take the picture closer to the paper. It was hard to read.