Q1.   This semester’s English class has taught me so much about myself as a reader, writer, and scholar. I noticed extreme growth in my writing and reading skills compared to what it was coming into this class.

• Reader: My reading skill has enhanced from merely reading to find the standard author’s purpose, literary devices, genre, and overall meaning of said writing to reading to understand the author’s writing style such as word choice, sentence structure, and the flow of ideas and information. Deeply looking at a piece of writing to understand the author thought process and identify some of the characteristics of their writing that you could use in your own to make it better.
  • Writer: Prior to this class when writing for school I would do the bare minimum barely meeting the requirements for an assignment. And most times my writing would have missing patches of ideas or some ideas that need more clarification so the flow of ideas in my writing would be all over the place. However, while writing for this class I notice that my writing style has changed. Now I tend to complete ideas and when I feel as though I have not explained one enough I overexplain to make sure my audience is not confused.
  • Scholar:  As a scholar, I learned that I have the ability to complete assignments on time, but I have the tendency to procrastinate which as a direct result my work is usually turned in late. So, I have to work on my time management skills to stop procrastinating.

Q2.  I will definitely be using the knowledge and experience that I gained throughout this course in other writing situations in my college life. This semester I have learned how to properly analyze a text to find the deep meaning and the writing style the author of said text used to make the purpose of their writing effective. I have also learned how to not only write in different genres but also how to change my writing into a completely new genre which would be very beneficial in my next English class.

Q3. When comparing the work, I did early in the semester to now, I would say my writing has improved. I noticed that overall, my writing made sense and all the ideas were coherent and well explained which I something I felt like I did not do enough of before. I also learned how to make my writing fit into different genres by using different languages, tones, and word choices.

Q4. My least favorite assignment was Unit 3 “Writing in a New Genre”. I found it very hard to choose a different genre that was not only best for my research but also for me. My favorite assignment was Unit 2 “RAB”, I really enjoyed researching and writing about something that piqued my interest.

Q5. Some notable lessons that stuck with me after completing certain assignments are how to write a proper research paper (how to properly quote and cite sources), how to find sufficient sources that do not only support your predetermined ideas about your topic, and how one genre could form many different ones. Lastly, how to gather sufficient information that will make your writing beneficial to others.

Q6.  I have noticed many changes in my writing as the genres and assignments changed throughout this term. Firstly, my writing style, I have learned how to navigate and shape my writing to fit different genres. Secondly, my vocabulary has improved drastically. I have been reading many articles and books in and out of school which has helped strengthen my vocabulary. Thirdly, my proofreading skills are now trained to see minor mistakes in my writing that prior to this class would not have noticed.

Q7. Before starting an assignment, I would always look at similar writing online in terms of the genre to study the standard format to use as a model of my writing. Then I would gather all the information for the assignment and put them in sequential order for my writing to flow so that said information would be coherent and cohesive. Then I would start writing.

Q8. My assumptions about my writing skill prior to this class were that I am not a good writer. I never really enjoyed writing so I would put in the minimal effort which made the writing process boring and tiring. On top of that, the assignment I had were that interesting which made me dreed writing even more. Now, writing is more fun since most of the assignments in this class have been about our interests and experiences. I find that when I am writing about something that I have experienced or am interested in, the writing process is easier and more worthwhile.

Q9. I would not say I have an experience with revising assignments since I haven’t revised any of my assignments. Whenever I would receive a grade for an assignment, I would also be satisfied with it, so I did not feel the need to revise the assignment. Also, I do not do revision whenever I submit an assignment that would be the end of my writing process. I just submit a writing assignment and never look at it again. I just check what grade I got and that is it.

Q10. This semester was I found particularly challenging was making sure my writing made sequential sense which meant making sure the flow of my writing was not all over the place. To make sure my writing made sense and the information in it was flowing properly I would gather all the information I needed then list them out on a piece of paper then put them in sequential order. Then and only then I would start writing.