A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Unit 2 Draft Introduction

Entertainment is a must when it comes to our lives. I don’t think I have met a person who didn’t seek some sort of entertainment. One of the most common forms of entertainment is video games. Of course, video games come in many different forms. The ones I’m more interested are multiplayer games. I like to be competitive, improve my skills to try and be the best. Beating people online boosts my confidence a little, but it also gives me the chance to interact with people online. I am not much of a talker, or a communicator, so it’s not like I converse with people a lot. But when it comes to video games, I tend to be more talkative. Maybe it’s the feeling of people not knowing who I am, or me not directly talking to someone face to face that makes it easier. Sometimes I don’t even talk to the other player, we just communicate and find out what type of player we are through how we play the game. Getting to communicate with people like this got me curious. Will playing these multiplayer games and interacting with people online improve my social skills? Will I find it easier to talk to people? Of course those questions also got me thinking, if it does affect me socially, then can that effect be negative? The only way I will find my answer is through research. When I do research on this project, I expect to find a lot of psychology and sociology. When it comes to studying how people interact with others, we will often find it on the topic of sociology. Studying the interaction of people who play multiplayer games with society is the main target of this research, and when it comes to people who play online video games, I can only think of a negative outcome. I expect to find a lot of negativity in our social lives when it comes to people who play multiplayer games, as there are many people who play multiplayer games that are regarded as “toxic,” or people who spread negativity to the gaming community. If the research I do goes the completely opposite direction, or results in something I did not expect at all, then it will just make me want to research it more. A completely unexpected outcome is actually way more interesting than one you expected. That just means there is a whole other layer to what you are researching, and what you do know is just the surface. For the sake of my curiosity, I hope I find an outcome that is out of this world, but it also makes me wonder even more. Will the outcome affect how I see multiplayer games, and if so, will I ever play those games again? I probably will but it’s still fun to be curious.

1. Lisa Cole

Obed, you need to place your research question at the beginning of the introduction and make sure it’s one question (you can string two questions together in a compound sentence). Your topic is good, so you may proceed with your research.