A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

“Bunn Assignment”

In Mike Bunn’s article he is writing about how to read like a writer. In his reading he teaches his readers on how to analyze literature which consists of context, language, genre and type. When Bunn writes “You are already an author” I think what is means is that we as the reader are all ready author according to the article it states that “When we read like writers we understand and participate in the writing. We see the choices the writer has made and we see how the writer has coped with consequences of those choices.We “see” what the writer is doing because we read as writers; we see because we have written ourselves and know the territory know the feel of it”. What he means is that when we read we understand so many things in the writing that we know everything that is going to be happen because we as readers are part of it. When it comes to writing I usually don’t write unless I am in school. But when I do write I take down all of the notes whether it’s exams, quizzes, homework or just important information I need to remember. It would be help me in my college reading and writing career when you’re building your resume for a job.

In Bunn’s article I read something that I would like to try on my own writing which is “As you’re first learning to read in this new way, you may want to have a set of questions written or typed out in front of you that you can refer to while reading on page 79. Where Bunn explains having questions is helpful because it helps you understand the text better. Another thing I noticed in the article is on page 81 it states “You want to imagine how other readers might respond to the writing and the techniques you’ve identified”. Where Bunn is trying to say be relatable so the readers can connect with you. I want to try this out because when it comes to my writing I never actually used these methods and these tips really looked helpful to improve my writing skills. Its great finding ways on how to improve my writing skills and reading Bunn’s article helped a lot with that.

1. Lisa Cole

Excellent response! BUT the annotations are missing. Going forward, make sure you complete the assignment.