A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Core Values

One core value that I really carried on from high school is friendships. Friendships I built from high school still hold on till this day. I was a little rebel in freshmen year which caused a lot of attention my way which I didn’t want. But it gained friendships, not ideal but 5 years later I’m still friends with most of them. Two and a half years in high school I never beef with anyone and don’t regret the people I met. During the few months of the pandemic I was devestated knowing I’d miss the second half of my junior year and posibly my senior year the way things were looking. During this time I used an app called Discord where a lot of my friends were on. We would join voice calls and talk from the moment we woke up till midnight. It was a weird time where we did nothing but stay indoors and thankfully I had people to talk to during the lockdown. Once we slowly started lifting lockdown I would go out any chance I got to play ball, soccer or to just chill and walk around Astoria Park or even walk from Flushing Meadows to 74th just because we didn’t have nothing to do. Some of them come to this college but we couldn’t agree on the same classes which may have been for the best since I don’t want to distract myself especially since we are in person and I’m taking this serious.

This value relates to your goals for my future because I’m going to meet new people at work or school whether I like it or not. For the first time in a long time I felt reserved when Professor Lisa said to talk to a peer in the classroom to get their number or anything to get a hold of them. I haven’t talked to anyone outside my boys in a very long time. Coming from an almost two year layoff it was weird just talking to a complete stranger. I felt comfortable telling myself I’ve done this in high school and middle school before. So getting out my comfort zone is something that relates to my future goal since talking to new people is required if I want to be a construction manager and hopefully architecture down the line.

Improving my writing and communication skills will help me achieve these goals since I have to communicate with anyone at any place at any given time. I have to communicate at jobs, this course, future courses, communication is key in order to advance. Improving my writing is key for this class but also if I want to apply for jobs, I need a well written resume so I can look professional and bosses know whether I’m fit for the job or not. This semester I want to work my writing muscles so I can have improved by the end and I know how to write a well written essay or writing task given to me.

1. Lisa Cole

Excellent response, Jhay!