Anzaldua-Wild-Tongue

1. Theo

My English studies were not challenging because we spoke English in my country growing up. I did not live or grow up in this nation. I only speak English now because the majority of the people living here speak it. In my native tongue, we speak GA and Twi and in my country, some English was picked up from movies or novels. My language does not fluctuate while I speak, unlike Lyiscott’s. Even with my parents, I don’t have to speak a different form of English; instead, I help them translate when necessary, much like she does. I talk on the phone or wait by him when he speaks. Although I don’t condemn my parents’ poor English because I see it as a chance to get better, I did feel a little embarrassed by it when we first moved here, even if I had poor English of my own. “Because of my mother’s “poor” English when I was growing up, I am certain of this. My experience is a little different from hers. As I previously mentioned, I did not grow up here, so I was able to communicate with my parents quite easily. However, when my parents speak in broken English next to someone else, I can tell they are having trouble being understood because the person stares blankly at her face, or perhaps they are just acting that way. I can then correct the person by stepping in. My pals are the only people I have left to talk to. Because I incorporate slang words into my phrases, I don’t believe there is a significant difference. After all, my pals say that. I recall my mother helping her mother, who lives in a distant place and cannot speak the language well enough to communicate with others. My own experience hasn’t required me to pose as my parent during a crucial phone contact. But my parents always do it for their parents, who are also my grandparents. My parents assist with important phone conversations because my grandparents’ English is imperfect and very restricted. I’ve heard the narrator use the phrase “pretending and being a translator” at my house, so I know what she means. Being mixed has both benefits and drawbacks. On the plus side, you get to see the world through eyes that many others don’t have, and you may have views and opinions for all sides of your society. Another advantage is that you can communicate in another language, though this may also be a drawback. The text discusses how there are many different variations of Spanish (Chicano Spanish, Tex-Mex, and mainstream Mexican Spanish, to name a few) that might be intimidating when communicating with someone from the same culture.