Lecture, Week 1

Each week, I will make posts relevant to that week’s work based on the schedule on the syllabus. As you can see here, I made one post for this week’s lecture and one post below for this week’s weekly writing assignment. In both cases, these are labeled as pertaining to “Week 1” to help you keep track of what needs to be done now before next week when I post the next lecture and assignments on our OpenLab Course Site.

You will want to have your notebook out and watch the lecture. I will talk about note taking strategies for our class. Your notes have to be handwritten notes for the reasons that I discuss in the lecture. These will be scanned and submitted as part of your grade at the midterm and at the end of the semester.

As discussed toward the end of the lecture, you should download and read over this document that I made for you of a variety of definitions of Science Fiction. We will refer to this document throughout the semester and it will be essential to your research paper later this semester.

After you’ve watched the lecture and made notes, you will want to begin reading Frankenstein (linked from the syllabus’ schedule) and respond to the Weekly Writing Assignment posted below.

I will have office hours on Wednesday 3:00-5:00 (see syllabus for link). Bring your questions then or email me at jellis at citytech.cuny.edu.

I’m looking forward to a fun and engaging semester focused on Science Fiction with you all!