Pursuing a career in Communication Design by Marcus Lamothe

My name is Marcus Lauren Lamothe. I am currently eighteen years old and attending New York City College of Technology. The official name of the degree that I am pursuing is a Bachelor in Communication Design. With the skills that gain from my courses at City Tech, I will be able to do a lot more in the means of designing various things such as beautiful logos for companies. I feel that Communicative Design is the best for me because it allows me to go further in depth about my passion within the design field. Iā€™ve always been passionate about various forms of art ever since I was young. A few other reasons I went into this major is so I could share my creativity with the world and leave my landmark on tomorrow’s society. In this essay, I will discuss the following: I will provide some background on Communicative Design, my reasons for why I chose this major and how it connects me as an artist, and explain how I plan to excel in my future career.

Second, what is Communicative Design you may ask? Well, in small terms, Communicative Design is the combination of technology and design used as an alternative means of communication with others. Some examples of these would be T.V. commercials, advertisements, and other sources which would then be used to convey or promote a message to others. According to the City Tech College Catalog, ā€œGraduates of the Communicative Design bachelor of technology (Btech) degree program are prepared to obtain employment as designers, junior art directors, and art directors in advertising, graphic designers, art directors, web designers, broadcast designers, animators and game graphics designersā€ (City Tech Catalog 200). In other words, with a Bachelor degree in Communicative Design, you will be able not only Ā learn about various forms of visual communication but also, you will have a large array of career possibilities that you can access due to all of the knowledge and experience that youā€™ve gained. Also, this career path mostly caters to those who have creative and expansive minds to conjure up new, innovative content that the world hasnā€™t seen before. In a way, I plan to be a ā€œSteve Jobs of Designā€ in the near future, as in becoming a great innovator in the Graphic Design industry. One of the benefits of graduating after finishing Ā four years in Communication Design, according to the City Tech College Catalog, ā€œgraduates of the program have been employed by such organizations as Jc Penny, ABC-TV, SONY, Saatchi and Saatchi Advertising, Marriott, Book of the Month Club, DC Comics, Metropolitan Transit Authority, Simon & Schuster, McGraw-Hill, Draft-FCB Advertising, Fairchild Publications, Citicorp, Grey Advertising and many othersā€ (City Tech Catalog 200). From this statement alone, you can see that a career in Communicative Design allows you to fully explore your creativity in ways not seen before. The more that I learn about what I could do in my chosen major, the more invested I become towards my career goal. This also shows that there are many open doors for new designers to make a visual difference in our society. The most important thing to me as a soon to be member of society is to do a job that I love, not one that I will regret doing.

Though with the challenges of many career fields, Communication Design is not an easy job to get into. Along with a powerful, creative mind, you have to be willing to work extremely hard and even do multiple tasks at once. There is a lot of pressure that I will have to endure but Iā€™m sure that when the time comes, Iā€™ll be ready for anything. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, ā€œEmployment of graphic designers is projected to grow 7 percent from 2012 – 2022, slower than then the average for all occupations. Graphic designers are expected to face strong competition for all available positionsā€ (U.S. Sect. 5). In other words, the demand for Graphic Designers are estimated to greatly increase by each year so there will be a small gap for new designers to enter into the industry and show the world their creativity. When I was in highschool, I became more aware of the risk of entering this industry but, even with all the potential dangers of doing so, I wasnā€™t afraid of what I would have to face in the near future. Iā€™m confident in my skills as a designer and Iā€™ve come too far to just give up just because the task at hand maybe too difficult. According to an article on Graphic Design, ā€œ When we think of Graphic Communications(which we donā€™t very often), newspapers and magazines usually come to mind but, the industry is much broader than this initial thoughtā€ (Cary, 24). In a sense, there is so much more to Graphic Design than what most people thought because, Graphic Design is shown in many forms such as Building Design and the creation of advertisements or commercials that are later released to the public. After reading this article, I also learned a bit more about Communication Design after seeing how it could be applied to other real world aspects within our daily lives.

In conclusion, I believe that Communication Design is the best path for me because, I have always loved to draw and show my creativity to others so I decided to go along this road. In this day and age, our world is lacking the same spark or amazement that is use to have. What do I mean by this? Without Communication Design(or Graphic Design), our world would be bland and grey, just more of the same scenery everywhere you go. I said to myself, ā€œIf I am going to choose a career that I will be doing for the rest of my life, I want to pursue a career that enjoy and loveā€. As for my current plans to pursue my career in Communication Design, I will complete my last three years at City Tech and then, I plan to work Ā for big name companies such as Sony and FOX to advertise or help in the creation of new seriesā€™. Iā€™ve already learned many of the basics of design and technology but, after my time at City Tech, I will have all the skills I need to excel in my career. Every year, there are more and more designers that steps up to create a visual change in our society and I plan to do just that. Iā€™m glad that I among many other individuals has the chance to make their passion into a lifelong career. Thatā€™s why I decided to go to college in the first place, to aid me in my goal to change the world.

Works Cited:

Ā Ā Ā 

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2015.

Cary, Jana. “Careers In Graphic Communications.” Tech Directions 59.10 (2000): 24. Academic Search Complete. Web. 8 Nov. 2015.

New York City College of Technology College Catalog 2015 – 2016(CityTech). New York: NYCCT,2015. Web. 8 Nov. 2015.

Ā