Exploring City Tech’s Fashion Marketing at City Tech and a Career in Fashion Illustrator

Hey my name is Sabrina Josephs, I am freshman student at New York City College of Technology. To be honest, this college has been interesting so far. The major I chose is Fashion Marketing because I am planning on becoming a Fashion Illustrator. The reasons why I made the decision for that to be my future career is because I want to design fashions for woman every size, especially the plus size woman, yet I want the clothes to look stylish for them. I also want to know the pay. Lastly, I want to show my creativity all around the world. In this essay I will go through the specific details about my major and how it will help me pursue my career.

I love what I do :-)  https://www.flickr.com/photos/128544675@N07/15728594316/

Here are some following facts about my major in Fashion Marketing and my future career of being a fashion illustrator giving helpful background material that support my choice.The 2014-2015 New York City Technology Catalog tells us that “The Fashion Marketing program is designed for students interested in the dynamics of fashion, both as a business and on expression of contemporary culture” (City Tech 128). It also mentions that “The study of fashion begins with the fundamentals of business, marketing and merchandising of fashion goods and technical product information. Through the core curriculum that student gains insight into many subjects that help to explain sociological and psychological factors which influence fashion interest and demand in today’s global market.” This is also something Professor Alyssa said when I ask her How does Fashion Marketing help me to become a Fashion Illustrator? She said that “ being in such means having an idea or logo and putting them up on display.”

According to “Illustrating Fashion” when wanting to a be Fashion Illustrator “It is necessary to have a portfolio of reasonably good samples of your work to show when applying for an art job. You must have a ground-work of training and knowledge in order to complete, though it is still possible to learn and improve through working with artists in the field.”

Now we will go through the specific details about my reasons why I want to be a fashion Illustrator that I had stated earlier. My first reason was that I wanted to design fashions for woman every size, especially the plus size woman, yet I want the clothes to look stylish. New York Time made an article by editors of V about the situation saying that “Fashion Magazines have always purported to embrace diverse images of the female body, publishing periodic “shape” issues that juxtapose the thon and very thin with the moderately fleshly. But only in the last year or so have notably larger woman been released from the fringes, appearing not only in magazines and on television but also in the more rarefied world of the runway, including a Chanel show in St.-Tropez this spring.” However, they said that “If defenders saw in these photographs a less-restrictive imaging of the female form, detractors perceived further instances of fetishistic extremism. “This is not a positive look at larger women in fashion but a freak show,” one Internet poster wrote of the V shoot. Another pointed out that glorifying the other end of the weight spectrum did nothing to change fashion’s essentially unhealthful message: We are taunted daily by skeletal fashion models…. However, I defy any of you to idolize these woman. Nobody wants to be fat! With this I felt like its this kind of talk that makes me want to come up with some idea on how to make stylish outfits for plus sized woman.

On to the next reason which was how much will I get pay? Now to figure this I had to go and log on to www. BLS .gov and it says that “The BLS noted that you could get your start as a fashion designer by pursuing an entry-level position as a sketching assistant. In March 2014, PayScale.com reported that junior graphic designers who worked in the fashion industry earned a median salary of $41,722. At the same time, assistant fashion designers earned a median wage of $39,371, while fashion designers earned a median wage of $70,311. The same source reported that illustrators in all industries made a median salary of $44,916 in March 2014.

For my last reason, I said that I wanted to show my creativity all around the world. Now its pretty obvious that I have many ideas that expresses myself with my fashion illustrations and the creativity I have for them is in my heart. I even once said in a video on I made about “who I am and what I wanted to do” that “ Creaivity is something that can express ourselves in many different ways and I express myself through my fashion sketckes. I have many ideas for outfits and since I draw my fashion illustrations very well and I just love to draw them I figure what better way of expressing myself best than by doing something I love.” I love coming up with new idea for my fashion illustration. Getting inspiration and seeing if my plan can become into art in any I can. In fact a fashion book I have called “Fashion Illustration Inspiration and Technique” by Anna Kiper says “A design journal is an essential tool for the development of a fashion collection. Fabrics, trims, and inspirational images help create an atmosphere for the creative process to begin.” This is true bercause after reading the book especially that quote I took it into consideration and follow the advice and it worked, now I can get a lot more inspiration than I ever had before.

The book of Fashion Art  https://www.flickr.com/photos/128544675@N07/15785201640/

Hm..Classy   https://www.flickr.com/photos/128544675@N07/15314058450/

Overall it may like a very difficult and such, but it is so worth it in order to fufill your dream of creating your own fashion ideas to the whole world. To get started with that kind of field, “Illustrating Fashion” explains that “ It is possible for an artist starting out with the idea of being a fashion illustrator to end up in some different but related field. Ethier some other line is more to his liking or a job possibility opens a different door.” So keep your head held high for those job oppertunities.

So in conclusion trying to be a Fashion Illustrator is a very hard thing to achieve, but I believe those hard work and dedication the possiablities of becoming one is endless. If there is any advice I could possably give you is don’t give up, try your best to find inspiration, practice, practice, practice and lastly keep believing in yourself no matter what.

Fashion is my life  https://www.flickr.com/photos/128544675@N07/15476688206/

Work Cited

New York City College of Technology (City Tech). College Catalog 2014-2015. 2014. PDF. 17 NOV. 2015.

Work Cited

Anna, Kiper “Fashion Illustration Inspiration and Technique”

Book: (2011): 139-140

Sun. 7 Dec. 2014

Work Cited

Professor Alyssa . Interview with author

4 Dec. 2014.

Work Cited

Eunice Moore Sloane

“Illustrating Fashion”

Book: (1977): 308, 310, and 312-313

4 Dec. 2014.