Exploring City Tech’s Computer Software at City Tech and a Career in Software Development by Samuel Collado.

Samuel Collado is my name, it is amazing how this name is giving to you by two people and it is your identity for life. I am a New York City College of Technology undergraduate student; this school is actually pretty amazing. The major I decided to get a degree on was Computer Software. I have been using computers since I was twelve years old, if you were expecting something like “Since I was a kid” then you are sadly mistaken. Many people may say six years may not be enough to love something with a true passion. But I use computers day and night; I use my computer for literally everything. When I am bored, I test my WPM (Word per Minute) to kill time. I get insanely excited when I excel my max. My max WPM at the moment is 92, pretty high in my opinion. Throughout this essay I will go into specific details about my major. How it will help me pursue other dreams such as YouTube, the jobs and income of Computer Software Engineers & because technology will never stop evolving.

The Joy Of My Life

Clearly, the future will be mostly based on computing. That is the main reason as to why I decided to go for Computer Software. This field will never be outdated, because technology is always improving. Google is where everyone wants to work including myself, more or so for the money. What I really want is to be a famous YouTuber and majoring in this field will help me learn more about software and help me produce higher quality videos. According to The 2014-2015 Course Catalog, It states that “The Program’s structure will allow for timely changes in Specialization course offerings as the information technology field evolves.” Clearly The Course Catalog also mentioned how information technology field evolves, supporting my statement.

The Start Of My Life

College students tend to aim for masters in that glorious major. What they do not know is that by sticking to just one thing and aiming for a major, it will take you down this horrible narrow path. A path where you will wake up, go to work, sleep and rinse and repeat. I personally think that is a foolish decision, acquiring a degree is perfectly fine but doing more with that degree is a lot more productive and exciting. Computer Software will help me in several things such a YouTube. In my first paragraph I stated that I wanted to work for Google, working for Google and majoring in Computer Software will help my YouTube career improve dramatically. I would be able to advertise my videos a lot easier and I would learn a lot more of computing therefore improving my editing skills. According to The Associated Press “Google buys YouTube for #  1.65 Billion Dollars” Clearly, here we see that YouTube is now also part of Google. Now I want to work for Google even more, working for google will allow me to kill two birds with one stone.

Computer Software’s Engineers have plenty of jobs to choose from, this is a great field and it will be increasing over the years. Some of the jobs can be IT (Information Technology), Design, Management, Professional Services, Customer Service, Installation Service and lots more. We all want well-paying jobs are I right? According to Bureau of Labor Statistics Computer Software Developer makes roughly $100,000 a year and $45 an hour. Also one does not need work experience not on the job training, everything you need to learn will be taught to you through your college career. The numbers of jobs in 2012 are 1,018,000 and will be increasing by 22% from 2012-22 which is faster than average, this was stated in Bureau of Labor Statistics. I may not finish College by 2022, hopefully a lot earlier. But, 22% is a huge increase and will help me and others joining this field dramatically.

Technology will always be improving, always. There will always be a time where something new will be made and something else will be evolved from that previous creation. Technology will never stay left behind; it will always be the king of this world. That is another reason as to why I want to major into Computer Software. My life will always become a school, I will always be learning new things of the thing that I love which is Computers. There will not be a day where I stop learning something new because it will always change, all the time. Everyone uses technology; we do not want to be left behind. Technology is a huge important key to our society, and working with it is a win-win situation. According to Mobile Technology Fact Sheet, as of January 2014 90% of Americans adults have a cell phone. Also 58% of American adults have a smartphone, aren’t those numbers insane! Let’s go back to our topic, Computers. This may not be a surprise for some of you but the number is what’s surprising, 95% of Americans have either used or own a computer at home. That is only leaving 5% which are probably elderly people. Why would you want to major into something that can die out in a few years, probably no one.

The classes I am currently taking at City Tech are not what I would want to take. I am currently taking electives but they are definitely going to help me in the future. For example, Public Speaking will help me interact with more and will help me with interviews and presentations in my future job. Math classes will definitely help me with my major because anything that has to do with computers requires math. English will improve my speaking and my writing, making me sound more professional. There was only one person in my major’s department, his name is David Belhensen. Belhensen was not such a welcoming person, but I still asked if I could ask him two questions about my major. Surprisingly he replied yes, Thank god he did. One of these questions was “Is this a hard path to take?” the second one was “From 1-10 how fun are computer courses?” To the first question Belhensen replied and I quote “Computer Software is a hard journey for people who are not friendly with math, but if you are expect it to flow smoother than a waterfall.” To the second question he replied “10, To me computer courses are extremely entertaining because it feels as if you are creating something new. When you make an error you fix it, you are the God or the Creator of this machine. It is an amazing feeling”. I strongly agree with David Belhensen, even myself when I troubleshoot my own laptop or tweak it so that it would perform faster with games I feel such a great joy when I succeed.

Hell But Helpful

Computer Software is a major for those who can spend hours and hours on computers. For those who find it fun just tweaking, playing video games, surfing the web a lot. I would recommend Computer Software to almost anyone, simply because their jobs are raising 22% by the end of 2020. That is a huge number right there and whoever does not take advantage of that will be missing out. Computer Software is a huge field, you will most likely find a job in it after you graduate from college I sure hope I do. If you are not math friendly, I suggest taking another route. According to the Course Catalog of City Tech, you will need to take Pre-calculus. That is the minimum math course you must pass, who knows what else they throw at us Computer Software majors.

WORK CITED

Belhensen, David. In Person Interview. 12.2.2014

Collado, Samuel “The Joy Of My Life” Flickr. 5 December 2014. 7 December 2014

Collado, Samuel “Hell But Helpful” Flickr. 5 December 2014. 7 December 2014

Collado, Samuel “The Start Of My Life” Flickr. 5 December 2014. 7 December 2014

New York City College of Technology (City Tech). College Catalog 2014-2015. 2014. PDF. 18 November 2014.

Pew Internet, “Mobile Technology Fact Sheet”. Pewinternet.org, PewResearch Internet Project.9.25.2014, Web. 12.7.2014

The Associated Press, “Google buys YouTube for $1.65 Billion”. Nbcnews.com, NBC News,12.7.2014, Web. 12.7.2014.

United States. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Software Developers”. Bureauof Labor Statistic. Department of Labor. 1.8.2014. Web. 12.7.2014