Exploring City Tech’s Computer Engineering at City Tech and a career in Computer Programming by Sheldon Bennett

My name is Sheldon Bennett,  i study computer engineering at The New York City College of Technology or City Tech for short. I am reflecting on my major and i plan to enter a career in computer programming. I believe that this is the best career choice for me because i always wanted to be an engineer, i have an interest in computers and i always wanted the chance to contribute to the innovation in the technological field. I will begin by discussing the background of my major and career. I will continue by going into the reasons as to why i chose this major and career. I will finish off by discussing how i am preparing to go into this career field and give some advice to whoever is interested in becoming a computer engineering major.

City tech

A photo of a City Tech folder that i titled “City Tech”

To gain more of an understanding of my decision to be a computer engineering major and my aspirations of becoming a computer programmer , its essential to know the following facts. Computer engineering involves doing a number of things that have to do with computers. According to the New York city college of technology 2014-2015 catalog, “it is multidisciplinary  in nature in that students are taught the fundamentals of electrical and mechanical technology, computer hardware, software,  data communications and networking”(CityTech Pg230). With a degree in computer engineering,  i will be able to earn a job as a computer programmer. A programmer does work that determines how a computer works. According to the bureau of labor statistics, “Computer programmers write code to create software program”. “They turn the program designs created by software developers and engineers into instructions that a computer can follow”(Statistics Par1). I find this to be a pretty interesting career because we already know that computers can do a number of amazing things so its nice to be one of the people that are involved in that kind of process.

Now that you know more about the background of my major and my career choice, I will begin to talk about my reasons for choosing my career and major. The first main reason is that I want to be able to contribute to the innovations that we see in the technological field. I always believed that innovation was an incredibly important when it comes to progressing whether as a nation or even as a business. According to “Evolutionary study on collaborative innovation in SMEs and public policy innovation based on complicated network”, there are levels that show how developed certain countries are as opposed to others and it has a lot to do with economic position and also technology. It says that “some developing countries like China, India, Brazil, constitute the third echelon. However ,despite the economic levels of these countries , all of them have been fully aware of the significance of technological innovation for their economic development and social progress”(Zhong Pg 1247). Technological innovations are extremely important to development even in countries and simply want to be one of the people that contribute to something thats so important.

My next reason would be that I have an interest in computers. I have always been interested in computer hardware and software just because of the fact that there is a lot of attention and detail that goes into making such a complex machine. According to “Computer ethics”, “Computers are universal tools that can be shaped and molded to perform nearly any task. Computers can do anything we can describe in terms of input, process and output”(Lodewyckx Pg 90). This is pretty amazing because as we can see today, computers have become a giant part of our lives ranging from use in terms of pleasure and even to business uses. The idea of creating a machine like this seems pretty fantastic and it is even more interesting to learn the various codes that are used when it comes to programming them. Overall , i just believe that the whole process is something that is interesting to see and even more awesome to do.

Laptop

A photo of a dell laptop that i titled “Laptop”

My final reason would be that I always wanted to be an engineer. There are a number of amazing and difficult careers, but I always found that being an engineer is definitely something that’s satisfying. Engineers do various jobs from working refrigerators and air conditioners to working on cars and even airplanes. It was pretty obvious that i should major in computer engineering since i always wanted to be an engineer and also because of my interest in computers. It is definitely a field of study that has a bit of demand especially with the direction that we are going in terms of how we operate in businesses and even in leisure. According to “We Have Never Been Digital”,”That will be our destination rather than our starting point, as we look back at the long history of the idea that adoption of computer technology is a revolutionary moment in human history”(Haigh Pg24).

I will now shift over into discussing how my education and opportunities will prepare me for my career. Preparing for a career is definitely something that is p because it can be the difference between you getting a certain job or not. In terms of education, i am going to complete my 4 years here at city tech in order to earn my bachelors degree. During my interview with my interview with my technical graphics professor, i asked her how i should begin to prepare for my career. She responded by saying “Internships. You should begin to look for internships. That will allow you to practice and know the real world”(Infante Par1). So During these 4 years i will engage in various internships and clubs that will get me closer to attaining that job in the career field that i want to be in. While i make an attempt to to complete these tasks, i will also take advantage of the resources that are given to me here such as the various electives that will help me develop helpful skills and also refine certain skills that will definitely benefit me when i start my career. These skills include things like public speaking and even writing.

Effective Speech

A photo of the book that i am reading for one of my electives i titled “Effective speech”

So now that you know more about why i chose my major and career, i will now try to give some advice as  to how you should go about researching. There are a number of careers that come with being a computer engineer and one of the first things that you should begin to do is research the job that your are interested in whether it be working with computer hardware, software or even being a programmer. The next thing to do is find a school that provides the major that will prepare you for that specific career choice. After doing all of that and starting your educational career, i would definitely recommend joining clubs that correspond with your major not only because its something interesting to do, but also because of the various opportunities that will come from doing so. The journey is yours to make so choose whatever path you would enjoy the most. In terms of my journey, i look forward to continuing my school work and getting the chance to finally move into the exciting career of computer programming. I really enjoy the career path that i have chosen just because of the fact that there are a number of things that i find interesting. It is also because of the fact that i feel happy when i see the kind of work that i will be doing once i enter this career field. I really enjoy the career path that i have chosen just because of the fact that there are a number of things that i find interesting. It is also because of the fact that i feel happy when i see the kind of work that i will be doing once i enter this career field.

WORKS CITED

Bennett, Sheldon.” City tech”. Flickr. 6 December, 2014. Web. 7 December, 2014.

Bennett, Sheldon. “Laptop”. Flickr. 7 December, 2014. Web. 7 December, 2014.

Bennett, Sheldon. “Effective Speech”. Flickr. 7 December , 2014. Web. 7 December, 2014.

Haigh, Thomas. ” We Have Never Been Digital “. Communications of the ACM. September 2014. Vol 57. Issue 9. P24-28. Academic Search Complete. Web. 29 November, 2014.

Infante, Carmen . Personal Interview. 4 December, 2014.

Lodewyckx, H. “Computer Ethics”. Value Inquiry Book Series. 2014. Vol 276. P90-92. Academic Search Complete. Web. 29 November, 2014.

New York City College of Technology 2014-2015 Academic Catalog.Web. 30 Nov. 2014.

United States,  Department of labor: Bureau of labor statistics “Computer Programming “. Bureau of labor statistics. Dept of labor. 8 January , 2014. 29 November, 2014.

Zhong, Zhaoqing. ” Evolutionary study on collaborative innovation in SMEs and public policy innovation based on complicated network ”. Journal of Chemical & Pharmaceutical Research. 2014, vol 6. Issue 7. P1246-1249. Academic Search Complete. Web. 29 November, 2014.