My Brain Project by Samantha Reyes

Introduction

My name is Samantha Reyes and I am in the vision care program. And my thoughts are everywhere, I have such little interests but at the same time so many. For an entire day I spent about a minute every half an hour to writing down my thoughts. The thoughts that I had at these moments, which were all random. Ā This project gave me the opportunity to reflect on life itself as well. Later on I realized that they are thoughts that focused on subjects and or things that were maybe random, but important to me now and probably in the future as well. The different topics that will appear in my essay are the holocaust, baking, animals, traveling and my commute to school. I argue that my thoughts are focused on important things in my life in the present that will help me carry out who I decide to become in the future.

Thinking in Writing

8:30- I am thinking about what I am going to have for breakfast. maybe yogurt and fruit.

9:00-I need a new phone case , my phone is going to brake if I donā€™t get one soon.
9:30- Iā€™ve always wanted to be a cake designer maybe not professionally but I would like to learn how to.
10:00- I need to go to the library and get some more books on the 1940ā€™s.
10:30- I wonder if itā€™s cold in Vienna and Budapest now ? And how cold?
11:00-should I order that history book Iā€™ve been dying for or should I just wait till next week.
11:30- should I become an event organizer instead ? I would get to go to a lot of parties!
12:00- I know I got it Iā€™m gonna become a historian at the holocaust museum in Washington D.C. But when would I move and how do I study that here? Would I need to transfer?
12:30- is there a museum that focuses on European history in New York City?
1:00- I have a lab report to do .
1:30- what if I become a vet or a zoologist that would be so much fun but I would probably get depressed.
2:00- Iā€™m so tired I wanna go home and make myself a cup of tea.
2:30- I wonder what Sally is doing ? Maybe sheā€™s sleeping or hunting underneath the pile of pillows on the futon.
3:00- i hope the train isnā€™t packed On my way home tonight
3:30- why canā€™t people love animals the way I do ?
4:00- I should stop at the library and get some more history books but Iā€™m so tired.
4:30- should I take an anatomy class for fun?
5:00- I canā€™t believe it takes me two hours to get home of course Iā€™m the one that goes to a school in Brooklyn being from a completely different borough.
5:30- how much hw do I have tonight ? Oh god I have to write it all down as soon as possible so I donā€™t forget anything.
6:00- Should I take a nap or just do all my homework now ? Okay fine hw I guess.
6:30- I hate math oh god . Why does it have to be so difficult ?
7:00- let me take a break and read one of my books then finish reviewing for biology.
7:30- so like are we even in fall yet ? Or is global warming that bad already ? Humans are such a mess to this planet.
8:00- brain rules is actually pretty interesting. My mom would like it , I should tell her to read it.
8:30- so should I take that anatomy class and biology 2 classes next semester just for the fun of it?
9:00-( reading) so the years of the third reich were actually not just 1938-1945?
9:30- (still reading ) if hitler had no control over Russia how did the camps have Serbian prisoners? 10:00- (still reading ) have no remains been found when it comes Hitler?
10:30- (still reading )why were political prisoners never mentioned that much in books?
11:00-(still reading ) this relates so much to what I saw on my trip.
11:30 I canā€™t wait to go back to Eastern Europe all over again .
12:00- I said I would learn German, now when is that gonna happen?
12:30- maybe I should go to sleep.

Thinking Visually

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29757143@N05/14910582604/

Map-this map simply is a visual picture of all the places that I was able to visit this summer on my trip to eastern Europe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29757143@N05/15345686020/

Cake- I had a gathering, where I spent some time with some friends and family and was able to acquire new tips on cake when it comes to its taste as well as its dƩcor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29757143@N05/15532158962/in/photostream/

Travels- Focuses on photo books that were made online by my mother and I, so that we could have an easier way to view pictures and remember such fun times.

Thinking Rhetorically and Reflectively

HOLOCAUST

The Holocaust, I love history with a passion but I am obsessed with European history to be more specific, World War II and the Holocaust. One of my dreams has always been to get a job at the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C. this picture is a map of the places that I visited on my trip to Eastern Europe when I traveled during the summer in July (Reyes, ā€œMapā€). On this trip I was able to visit the many sites that grand events that were part of the holocaust and events leading up to the holocaust took place.

During my day of thoughts I mentioned that I needed ā€œ to go to the library and get some more books on the 1940ā€™sā€(Sreyes2 par.4). I wanted to go to the library to pick up some more books and that was because I am always on the lookout for new books on anything on history that would teach me something new or simply teach me more .I was also able to communicate through my thoughts on how exactly realistically my life would change if I were to work in the museum by saying ā€œI know I got it Iā€™m going to become a historian at the Holocaust museum in Washington D.C. But when would I move and how do I study that here? Would I need to transfer?ā€(Sreyes2 par.8) . Since I have always dreamed of working in that museum. But out of all of it I could become a historian sharing what I know, and at the same time I would be able to continue learning and always be able to figure out new information to improve my knowledge. Or an artifact preserver or tour guide at the actual site of Auschwitz ā€“ Birkenau concentration camp in Krakow, Poland that would be a dream come true.

EVENTS

I absolutely love baking, and ever since I first started baking I have always wanted to become a cake designer or event organizer for weddings or big events like weddings and baby showers. The other day I was able to enjoy a fantastic cake with really good friends and at the same time I was able to admire the design that was made with purple icing plus also see another way in which I could decorate my future cakes because practicing would only improve my skills (Reyes, ā€œCakeā€). The idea of becoming a cake designer had always lingered in the back of my mind, maybe not professionally but I would like to learn how to do it all both the designing and baking of the cakes. I also expressed in my day of thoughts that I ā€œshould I become an event organizer instead? I would get to go to a lot of partiesā€(Sreyes2 par.7). Because I remember first seeing 24 dresses I and realizing how much fun it is to be an event planner because you get to be there for people and help them and guide them through really huge moments in their lives, and I love helping people as well as parties because I love dancing as well. So that career would be a great idea.

ANIMAL

I am a huge animal lover, animals are so important to me I cant imagine a day that goes by in which I donā€™t think about the hardships that animals are undergoing every single day because of our terrible human species, on how we are destroying their habitats and hurting them for meaningless reasons, for example like for their skin. In my day of thought I shared that ā€œwhat if I became a vet or a zoologist that would be so much fun but I would probably get depressed.ā€(Sreyes2 par.11). I have also always wanted to become a zoologist, but I first wanted to focus on marine biology so that I could be able to help clean up the oceans that are being so badly polluted, that because of this the majority of the sea life is dying if not already dead. I have a cat named sally and she is pretty much my everything and with her I have been able to have lots of hands on experience with an actual animal and have done lots of research so that I could give her the proper care needed so that she can be as healthy as possible at all times. I wonder what Sally is doing ? Maybe sheā€™s sleeping or hunting underneath the pile of pillows on the futon.ā€(Sreyes2 par.13).

TRAVELING

I love traveling, seeing new places, tasting new dishes, hearing different types of music and because of this traveling has always been one of my passions. I have visited many places, but one place that I have always wanted to visit was Eastern Europe because of my strong interest in the Holocaust and World War II and I actually did. a few years back my mom asked me what I wanted as my graduation gift from high school and jokingly I said that I would love to visit Auschwitz but I did not think that she was actually being serious about it. But she did, I visited Poland and I am so glad that she did because I couldnā€™t have asked for anything else, because till this day it is a complete shock and I am in disbelief that I was standing on such ground. I wrote also in my day of thoughts on how ā€œI canā€™t wait to go back to Eastern Europe all over againā€(Sreyes2 par.30). I simply shared a photo with three books that were created by my mom and I that contain pictures saved from some trips that my family has taken over the years to always have some pictures to look back at (Reyes, ā€œTravelsā€).

My thoughts may have seemed random but all of these topics are important because they make me who I am. I consider myself to have a vigorous love for history and therefore that is why I think so much about the Eastern Europe and the Holocaust and because it captures my curiosity so much, I am always reading about this subject. And when it comes to baking and event planning its just a bit of an interest that because of my experience in design I have always seen as a chance to understand that no matter what I have many chances to express my artistic love of design through decorating. I love animals, I have always loved animals so much that I have always wanted to study marine biology and zoology so that I could at least have a complete understanding on how I could help them and teach other people on how to care for specific animals. Traveling has also been a love of mine , and more than anything due to the amount of history along with its culture and the everyday life of its people that I have already been able to learn from and the future ones to come.

I would like my future thoughts to focus on what exactly I want to do as a career and on what I want to focus on in my studies so that I can grow both as a professional as well as a person. my past thoughts have been a great way to get started on deciding because I have put in time to think about and what exactly I find to be most important to me and my growing interests.

Workā€™s Cited

Sreyes2 (Samantha Reyes ). ā€œProject 1: Thinking in Writingā€ Openlab. ENG1101 D377 English Composition 1, FA2014, 19 Sept 2014. Web. 9 Oct 2014.

Reyes, Samantha. ā€œCakeā€.Flickr. 20 Sept 2014. Web. 9 Oct 2014.

Reyes, Samantha. ā€œMapā€.Flickr. 20 Sept 2014. Web. 9 Oct 2014.

Reyes, Samantha. ā€œTravelā€™sā€.Flickr. 20 Sept 2014. Web. 9 Oct 2014.