Exploring City Tech’s Marketing Management and Sales Major and a Career in Business by Shyanne Spencer

1907476_899755900076232_7496473833741819667_n

As a student here at City Tech, there are many opportunities here for individuals that seek for great success in their dream career fields. My name is Shyanne Spencer and I am studying Marketing Management for my Associates Degree. Since City Tech does not provide a music major, I will then transfer to The City College of New York to study Music for my Bachelors Degree. These two major choices are the best for my career because I plan to own my own business and become an Entertainer.  Marketing is the best career choice for me, because I’ve always dreamed of owning my own business, whether it’s a clothing line or a record label. The reason why I chose to study music as well is because, I’ve always had the passion for singing and I would want to keep my vocal skills strong and learn more about the history of music and how to read the music notes rather than just listen to a tune and play it. I want to actually know how to read the notes fluently so that when I start doing performances on the piano or guitar, I wouldn’t have any trouble understanding what is placed in front of me.

The Marketing program is set out for students who are interested in having dynamic careers in the 21st century. As stated in the course catalog of City Tech, this program helps students prepare for tomorrow’s business opportunities and receive a good education and sensitivity to cultural diversity, environmental concerns, technological changes and ethical issues to smooth the way for the exchange of goods and services in the global marketplace. The material and ideas given to us from this major is basically to prepare us students for a wide range of business opportunities in marketing’s fast paced and highly competitive world. We learn also how to obtain a career in fields such as marketing management, marketing research, professional selling and advertising. We would also have hands on experience such as actually pretending to sell a product to the class or through field trips. Even special tours that enhance our learning experience. There are many career options in this field once you have earned your degree. Many people went off to owning their own businesses such as a clothing line, record label, retail stores, even online businesses. Now the reason why I said some individuals went off to having online businesses is because according to the article “Usage of It’s Tools in E-Marketing Campaign Design and Management in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises”, authors Piotr  and Mateusz  Muryjas states that “As of today, the Internet is one of the most important determinants of the progress of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). In contemporary business, the global network is perceived as the main channel for the marketing and sales of products and services”(Issue 67, p70-83). With that being stated you could see that e-marketing is one of the most efficient ways to reach your clients. With the increasing number of Internet users daily, this confirms that it is worthwhile to conduct marketing campaigns that are focused on the Internet and its users. After receiving my education from City Tech for my associates in this major, I would then transfer over to City College to continue on with my education for my bachelors in Music.

The mission of the Music Department as stated on the college website of The City College of New York is to offer high quality undergraduate major programs concentrating on musicology (history and theory), composition, performance, and popular music studies leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree(B.A.). The program is provided with professional training in classical and jazz performance, music education, and music & audio production technology, leading to the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (B.F.A). Students would learn how to demonstrate basic proficiency on a keyboard instrument and develop the ability to sight-sing tonal music, and take basic melodic and harmonic dictation. Demonstrate and apply the concepts and practical hands-on experience with basic acoustics and electricity, computer technologies, digital audio and MIDI sequencing, synthesis, signal processing including dynamic, time, pitch,and equalization processing, microphone techniques, sampling, internet audio, audio for film, video, animation, mixing, mastering radio sound and sound reinforcement.

13674_898416716876817_4808735861366545792_n

Ever since I was in middle school I have always have the thoughts and dream of becoming a business woman. Just the thought of running my own business I use to say, “I can’t wait to be my own boss and put my ideas out there for amazing products everyone would love”. Every time an idea came to my mind I would immediately grab a book or piece of paper to write it or sketch it out. Whether it was a little song I thought up or some kind of outfit that I thought would would be the next big trend or even a nice pair of shoes. I’ve just always came up with good ideas. I figured since I was so good with coming up with such great ideas why not study something that would help me get them out there in the future. Owning a record label would be great because I would get to search for those who have the same passion for become a musician as I do and watch them become successful and happy artists.

Studying Marketing Management at City Tech will prepare me for my future as a marketer because the education that I receive will prepare me for many business opportunities and I would know exactly what is legal to do and illegal to not do. I would know what audience I would want to attract for a specific product so that it will sell better in the market to those who would enjoy it. After talking with Professor Kimberly Ayoung, she says that you would have to have really tough skin in order to handle the criticism in the business because not all of your products you release will be a success. Ayoung has taught us the basics such as having a supply chain which is all the activities associated with the flow and transformation of the product from raw materials through to the end consumer. While searching on the Occupational Outlook Handbook, the annual wage of marketing managers make is about $137,400. The outcome after receiving my degree in this major, I would be able to plan, direct, or coordinate marketing policies and programs, such as determining the demand for products and services offered by a firm and its competitors, and identify potential customers.

Yamaha-Grand-Piano-Keyboard

Studying a music major at City College would be very beneficial for me as it prepares me to better understand the concept of music by learning how to read the notes better, strengthen my vocal cords and learn how to create instrumentals using the Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI), which is stated on the college website as a course. MIDI is a connectivity standard that musicians use to hook together musical instruments (such as keyboards and synthesizers) and computer equipment. Using MIDI, a musician can easily create and edit digital music tracks. The MIDI system records the notes played, the length of the notes, the dynamics (volume alterations), the tempo, the instrument being played, and hundreds of other parameters, called control changes. The education that I will receive from City College will prepare me for my career because I will gain more knowledge about music and strengthen my vocal skills.

As Professor Ayoung has told me this semester you have to have really tough skin with running your own business because there will be days when your product turns out successful and days when your product just does not make a sale at all. If you’re planning to take up Marketing Management here at New York City College of Technology, make sure that it’s the best choice for you. You shouldn’t just choose this major just to make profit, you have to actually know who you’re targeting for your products you put out, and if it function the way you say it does, and to never burn your bridges. That means if you are doing business with someone and you treat them wrong in any kind of way throughout the time you’re working with them, you might bump into that same person again with doing another business. Also you wouldn’t want horrible reviews on yourself and your company which causes others to refuse to work with you. Honestly, when I first thought of having my own business, I said to myself I don’t have any clue of the principles and essentials I would need to market my own business. That’s why I have decided to study in Marketing Management for my Associates so I can have a clear understanding of how the business industry operates. I recommend that you think clearly about the path of the career in which you wish to pursue in. If you’re dream career is Marketing go for it. But just remember, this career isn’t suitable for everyone. The competition grows by the second so you should ask yourself, “Can I handle the critics of my product if it does not succeed? and “Is this really something I’m passionate about?”.

Works Cited:

New York City College Of Technology(City Tech). “Marketing Management and Sales”. New York City College of Technology College Catalog 2014-2015. Web. 23 March 2015.

The City College of New York(City College). “Music”. The City College of New York College Website 2014-2015. Web. 5 May 2015.

Ayoung, Kimberly. Personal Interview. New York City College of Technology. 4 May 2015.

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, “Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers”. Web. 5 May 2015.

Muryjas, Piotr & Mateusz. “Usage of it Tools in E-Marketing Campaign Design and Management in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises”. Studies & Proceedings Polish Association for Knowledge Management. 2013, Issue 67, p70-83. Academic Search Complete. Web. 8 May 2015.