webinar 4

Once again on the off week Lisa wanted us to attend a webinar or networking event so i’ll document once again the experience. The webinar I decided to go to this week was the one hosted by adweek once again and it was before their thanksgiving week off so it was one of the final ones of the year. It went over the basic design process again for applying for jobs in the work force and here are some of the main points they went over. First they said the degree helps your application get viewed. Even from their powerpoint it states, “Often, the quality of work in your portfolio and the caliber of the clients you’ve worked with will speak louder than the degrees in graphic design you’ve received. However, many people do choose to obtain bachelor’s degrees in graphic design, or in related fields such as industrial design, animation, or fine arts. In fact, some graphic design jobs require a bachelor’s degree in order to apply. There are also associates degree programs focusing on graphic design, which are a more cost-effective alternative to betting a bachelor’s.” I agree because time and time again from these blogs I always discuss having some sort of  meaning to what you do and a plan and having a degree is a perfect start. This board was made up of a few creatives in the industry from Glassdoor and their presentation was very helpful and it’s still up if you wanted to take a look at it. They continue with saying that when you apply make sure you want to be full time or some sort of freelancer. I apply to jobs wanting to be full time if the company is something that I look up to and freelance if I just want to make a quick buck. Here’s some of the info from that post. “Many companies and independent design firms are constantly hiring full-time in-house graphic designers. Opportunities can be found through job search sites – for example, you can set a job alert on Glassdoor, Indeed, or any other job hunt sites under the title “graphic designer”, and receive alerts each time new jobs are posted within your criteria of location, minimum salary, and more. Typically you’ll submit a resume, your portfolio, and in some cases, a cover letter. After that, you may be invited back for an in-person interview, and you may have to showcase your skills on a take-home assignment.”  This is true too because I sent my resume and letters out the same exact way and was able to hear back from everywhere that I had applied too. Overall I enjoyed this webinar. It wasn’t too helpful since I already was taking a class on it but information is free.Â