Professional Goals

I think it is interesting that “STANDARD 36” of Ethical Standards for Human Service Professionals is under the section entitled “Responsibility to Self”. This standard which reads; “Human service professionals hold a commitment to lifelong learning and continually advance their knowledge and skills to serve clients more effectively”.

Understanding the need and importance of remaining teachable is extremely important. One of the main reasons I returned to college in my late forties was because of the innate and gnawing responsibility I had to myself to finish my education. However, during this journey what I have come to realize is that I am not completing my education; I am just getting started. I have just begun to scratch the surface. That is the amazing thing about learning; it never ends as long as one remains open to new ideas, opinions and research. What has been the greatest part of my learning experience thus far is not what I expected to learn; but learning about all the things I thought I knew. Returning to school has been life-changing for me. My education has been humbling, gratifying and exhilarating all at the same time. Learning has nourished apart of my spirit that I thought I had lost a long time ago. Recently my mother reminded me how much I have always loved school even as a young child. We laughed as she reminisced about how I would cry when it was time to leave my classmates and teachers. I had been away from school for so long I had forgotten how much I truly enjoyed it. I guess that is why from the very first day I took my coursework very seriously. I was diligent about every assignment, every paper, every grade. It was and remains important to me that I not only attend my classes but that I do well.

Although, I have not applied to any graduate programs yet; I am considering applying to Hunter, Fordham, Lehman and NYU. A great deal depends on which schools I am not only accepted to but can reasonably afford. These schools offer graduate programs in Social Work, Public Health and Administration; all areas I am considering for my future endeavors. The only thing I do know for certain at this point is that I will continue my formal and informal education. Graduate school being the formal version and life and all it has to offer being the informal. I have learned that everyone can teach you something. What has been most enlightening is that it is often the people we least expect that teach us the greatest lessons.

I know my future consists of lifelong learning; in fact everyone’s should. I look forward to to graduating in a few weeks and applying for some of the jobs I could not obtain without my degree. I look forward to getting that job, you know the one you really want not the one you settle for. I look forward to graduate school applications, letters of recommendations and continuing this journey of education. My hope is that as much as I have learned from so many, I may teach someone something meaningful along the way. That would make it all worthwhile.