I went to a networking event that discussed the ideas behind design and how utilizing design features digitally enhances the design making process. I found the group on a website called meetup. Meetup is a place where finding people who do the same work as you do much easier and less complex. The place was not hard to find. It was very spacious for the event. I was greeted by the organizer of the group Robert Mencarini who asked me if it was the first time being there and what did I want to learn.

This event gave a new aspect on IOT. IOT is the internet of things and that is being able to use internet with any device and appliance. The discussion was open up to us and a person asked “What does the user group and designers have to do with IOT?”. In my opinion, I believe as designers we hold a major part of how a specific item is worked through and processed.

I chose this specific event because I wanted to explore the tools of design that other professions use. Even though I talk a lot in my classes, I was very nervous. This was a new environment for me and I was very new to this group. Most people have been there before, so I was learning all about Revit and how their group works. The conversation amongst the room was about using virtual reality to create a 360 view of a building that is in the process of coming together.

After the viewing of what each designer does, the networking event proceeded. I met a few people from the human resources department of their companies. Since they are the ones that do the hiring I thought that this is my opportunity to see about design positions. A young lady by the name of Danielle works for the New York Public Library and they needed someone to do their newsletters. I showed her my card and the next day I emailed her my portfolio. She explained that my portfolio needed work but she told me to apply for the position.

In conclusion, I enjoyed my time at the networking event. It was a different atmosphere than what I am used to. I would probably go to more events like these on my own to network more. I also want to stop being nervous around people that I do not know.