When starting the class, Topics in Graphic Design, I did not know much about it. I thought that the class was about different topics that can be used within graphic design and how those topics were thought about. Knowing one’s graphic design style is important for their brand. It is important to know their style because that is what the bulk of their portfolio will look like and be.

The question of “What are some graphic design styles?” puzzled me at first, because as design students we just do what we think is right for us. Thinking back to the class that I have taken it made me realize this is the next step from History of Graphic Design. Between Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Swiss International etc. it is really tough to choose which one you relate to most. Art Nouveau is one of the older graphic design styles that contains flat, outlined illustrations and typefaces. That graphic design style help create many typefaces we have today and some of those illustrations as well.

My graphic design style is still being determined as I flourish my portfolio. I would say that my style is more contemporary because I enjoy being simple but creative conceptually. I am a very analytical person so I like to observe a project first and get all the details so it can be as structured as possible. Learning more about each graphic design style would be helpful so I can be well-rounded when it comes to my designs. I also want to make sure that I brand myself in the correct direction as a graphic designer.

The Ted Talk by Chip Kidd had me really inspired to do more with my work. Sometimes my work is a little fuzzy and can be misinterpreted by people. I learned that you either wanna have clarity or mystery. Clarity that gets straight to the point and mystery that has to be decoded. As graphic designers we do not want to give off the impression that we do not know what we are doing or what the concept is based on. The phrase visual vernacular is what most designers use to make it appealing to a specific audience. It means designing something and making it not what its literal meaning is.

As a designer we tend to get a topic and just do whatever we want with that topic if they’re no rules. Learning that emotion has to be created with every design makes it easier for me to think about what each project means to me and the audience. When a certain emotion is created the work is better and stronger. As I take all of my design module classes this semester that is one thing that will be on my mind. Emotion creates the work and makes the design better.