Life in a Day

For this assignment, we had to create a 5-7 min video based around a word of our choosing. The overall theme of the video was to be inspired by the movie “Life in a Day” where the film makers weaved together short clips from people all over the world and categorized them by themes. Before viewing my process, I provided a sample (Trailer) of the actual movie below:

For my video, I came up the with the word “Motion”. NYC as a whole is constantly moving (thus why we call it “the city that never sleeps”) and I wanted to show that on a smaller scale where the audience would follow me around for a day. Life is always happening and in motion. everything from people, public transportation, to just getting up in the morning and handling your day to day routine to leave the house.

Early Stages:

• Mindmapping
    mindmapAfter coming up with a theme, I decided to mindmap potential words that would correlate to make creating the video easier and that take place on a daily basis that signify movement.
  • Storyboard

Once I had a theme and words to work with, I began creating a rough storyboard to follow for the video. The camera follows me from the moment I wake up (Initial shot), until I go back to sleep (final shot). There is a mixture of first person / 3rd person shots interlaced to see things from the eyes of the audience but also my own. To take the theme of motion a step further, the video itself starts the way it ends so it can play on a continuous loop.

• Final Product