Project II Group B

23 thoughts on “Project II Group B

1. Gerald Ledbetter

All stories has a question, then catapulted over a protagonist’s- main character’s arc , and ending with a question.

First, the question of the protagonist could be something like: Solliliquoy “I’m hungry and I want to buy a sandwich?” A close up shot of someone looking into the air saying and thinking about food.

Second, the protagonist’s arc is the action that drives the question through the story. For instance a segment of the protagonist and others inspired by the statement and agreeing together and going to get a meal. Another segment of the group walking to get the food. A segment of the group entering a restaurant door.

Finally, the question is answered with a time ellipsis shot- omitting the inside supper scene, then the group is exiting the restaurant in motion-blur patting their stomachs and shaking their heads gesturing satisfaction.

Again stories have a beginning, middle, and end. A story starts with a question, the concept is forced over a protagonist’s arc. And, the question completes the story.

2. Christian

I just thought of an idea having a detective storyline, where we follow a detective using the steadicam over-the-shoulder type of shot. We can even get them interviewing people while walking and talking through the park so we could hit those shots where i would operate the steadicam while weaving in between trees or statues. Let me know what you guys think.

3. xrenox

I like Christian idea on what to shot with the Steadicam, I think we should have a story/skit where one of the students is running late for a final or carelessly does not know he/she has a final exam. The part where Chrisitan suggested a motion blur shot of someone leaving the subway station is a good one and for the rack focus, I was thinking of doing that shot when the actor is crossing the street while walking toward/with a group of people, where we focus on the actor first, then the group and then back to the actor.

1. xrenox

For the panoramic shot, I don’t have a clear understanding but I remember on Friday when we were practicing using the Steadicam outside, I did see a building with a dumbo tag on it [https://www.google.com/urlsa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFv_O34vTTAhUGnBoKHRkzD9cQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alamy.com%2Fstock-photo%2Fdumbo-new-york.html&psig=AFQjCNE20Aurgsp57sAB3Ay-xQJrEDW59Q&ust=1495036183107535] i think we could use that for our first scene.

1. Christian

Hey Reno that link is dead, its not linking to the image you were trying to send.

For the panoramic shot we can get a panning shot of the park.

4. Ryoya Terao Post author

OK. I just made the OpenLab group of the same course (Spring 2016) made public. You can view how much they discussed online before the final filming day. Hope this will inspire you to post more ideas. Don’t copy what they wrote, but come up with your own unique ideas!

Spring 2016 Project II Group A Discussion Link:
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/-digitalvideocameraspring2016/project-2-group-a/

Spring 2016 Project II Group B Discussion Link:
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/-digitalvideocameraspring2016/project-2-group-b/

All the best!

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

OK. Thanks for posting. But it doesn’t explain anything. First of all, I don’t know what was discussed while some students were practicing with Steadicam during this past session. Everything must be shared here online, so that all of us can read, and we can track down things easily. Even if there is something that was discussed among a couple of people, whoever posts (presents) it gets some points here for pre-production. And, that will be just the beginning. It should open up a new online dialogue.

>that where we would take shot and have them tell a story

This also doesn’t explain things adequately. We are not using external mics for this project. That means, we don’t depend on speaking parts. Tell a story visually. That is the challenge and goal. Shoot some unique footage. Don’t think of letting someone tell a story verbally in front of the camera for this project. That would be a wrong track. Follow the criteria.

After suggesting some ideas online, if there is no one to reply or follow up, just keep posting more ideas in detail. Waiting around doesn’t help if anyone wants to score decently. And, you should take this seriously as if you are to present creative shot list professionally. Don’t just think of doing obligations for a school assignment. You can easily turning this kind of assignment into a step to prepare for your professional path.

It is at the end of the semester now, and so I expect to see some meaningful comments to exchange.

I’m writing this to everyone in class.

5. Gerald Ledbetter

Producing a video.

Pre-production, or preparation of details, requires idea to script to the production details. The group will formulate a concept, undergo production, and post-production.

First, the agreed upon concept will eventually become a script. The personnel, equipment, and facilities, or medium requirements are already chosen.

Second, the actual production must have the ordered medium requirements: AG HPX 170 P videocamera, the steadycam, the four members, and the outdoor foundstage.

Third, the post-production involves editing and sound sweetening to finish the video.

Therefore, pre-production, or preparation of details, requires idea to script to the production details. The group will formulate a concept, undergo production, and post-production.

6. Gerald Ledbetter

Producing a video.

Third, the post-production involves editing and sound sweetening to finish for the video.

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

Yes, it is all true. You could write a textbook on introduction to film/video production! By the way, there will be no post-production involved in this course. But it is true that whenever we shoot any footage, think of how it will be edited.

7. Christian

Hello, who is mello?

I can operate the steadicam as I’m looking forward to using it. We can get most of the steadicam requirements easily with a walking segment at the location. As for the shots in between trees one person can guide me by resting their hand on my back as we move, and same thing goes for when we have to shoot the staircase portion.

For the HPX-170 on Tripod, slow shutter speed (motion blur) shot I think we should set it up by a subway exit to catch people exiting as it will be the most motion and will for visually appealing, or we can get cars passing by; either works.

As for the rack focus shot, I feel like we can knock that out pretty quickly with a standard over the shoulder look at the person behind them and then focus to the background, then focus again at the person in the foreground.

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

Good. But it will be always good to add some sort of storyline rather than just knocking out things quickly based on the shot requirements. There should be a motive always for camera to move in filmmaking. Express your creativity as a team! What Christian wrote is a good start.

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

It is good to start commenting, but everyone needs to write something meaningful for discussion; otherwise, it doesn’t count for your pre-production grade. Look forward to seeing many comments here.