Project I Group A

This is where Group A members should post their ideas and communicate with each other.

Group A Members:

Reno, Mamadou, Kalla, JoJo, and Chris

16 thoughts on “Project I Group A

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

This is from the latest announcement on BB, April 26th:

ENT 3290 Students,

Greetings from Vegas, where I’m attending two conventions!

I just e-mailed your Project I grade to your City Tech e-mail address. Please check it.

As a reminder, you need to prepare for Quiz 2 for this Friday.

See you soon.

Ryoya

2. Ryoya Terao Post author

Group A footage:

Until the end of Sunday, April 23rd, you can still add more comments before I finalize your Project I grade.

Be happy about what you accomplished, and be critical if you wish to improve for the future!

1. xrenox

Overall, I think the project was done well, but there was some part that could be done better, for example, the part Jojo was crying there was so much head room. There should have been more lighting on Kal when Jojo was confessing his love to her,but overall it was good.

3. Kal

I think we have a good start on the lighting, shot types, and ideas on how the scenes should look. The story lines that have been mentioned are all kinda along the same line so I think that’s helpful.

So…I think we should figure out who is going to bring in certain props that we might need. Or if someone knows a prop is in the classroom just try to post it that so we don’t have to bring it in.
    – Box: ?
    – Stool: ?
    – Flowers: ?
    – Guitar: I think Jojo has this covered

I don’t have a stool at home so hopefully someone else does or knows if the classroom has one. I will look to see what kinda of boxes I could bring in and if I find one that might work I will reply to this post later about it.

1. JoJo

I’d say let’s keep costumes casual and not get too crazy. Are we settling with making this a funny or serious concept? im for funny concept

4. Chris Z

The props I had in mind were flowers, a stool, and a guitar. As far as costume is concerned I imagined a girl in a dress and a guy dressed in suit. (not sure that would be practical)

5. Chris Z

I was not in class to discuss the project but as soon as I saw the assignment I immediately thought of Jojo playing the guitar. It seems like that is the idea that the group has spoken about and it sounds good. I imagine the video starting off with a broad lighting setup and jojo appearing. Jojo will then speak of how much he likes this girl from school and then the girl will appear. Once this happens, I see a change in to split lighting, He then plays a song for her and then gets rejected; the lighting then changes into butterfly lighting to represent how dramatic and dark the experience was. My idea is to basically change the lighting throughout the scenes to give off different vibes.

6. Kal

In class we talked about some of the main characters of this story a guitar playing narrator who is talking about a girl who is has had her heart broken (I think that was the idea for the girl character).

Props we talked about using:
    – Guitar for the narrator
    – A box that the girl is holding which symbolizes her protecting her heart ( Again I think this is close to what was said in class)

What we should talk about:
    – The background for the two character above so we can make sure we are all on the same page.
    – What other props we should consider to use.
    – Adding one more character at least to the story line to help the idea be more obvious in the video since I believe none of the characters have dialogue.
    – If we are going to play the song during video someone should have it downloaded on their phone before class starts. We should also come up with ideas for what each character is going to be doing during the video and how we play the song for each scene, if we are playing the song.

If anyone has any other ideas for this Project they should post it ASAP because we need time to go over it before Thursday night.

1. JoJo

As far as ideas go, I say we play around with lighting during the shoot. between the interaction, we can do each of the lighting designs we discussed in the previous sessions (rembrandt, split, butterfly). I think with this idea, we can even make a gag out of it. The character that gives the box to the female character lists instructions on loving a man that loves his guitar more than anything. Even though the male character explains how fragile he is and that he could be mean, he wants a women to love him, even though he gives more attention to his instrument. Making this too serious wouldn’t be as fun in my opinion, we can make fun of the idea of a desperate man needing love when he doesn’t provide love. In other words, this video will demonstrate a man in need to be taken cared of while he plays his guitar.

1. xrenox

My idea is to have a spotlight on a stool where the main character would walk toward the stool with his/her guitar and start playing it after he/she sit down. The camera should be in a high angle shot and after he/her sit down the angle should eventually go down to the eye level where we can see the character face (mostly it should be a medium shot or a close up). The lighting after the medium shot should start off with a Rembrandt light but then when the song start the first verse we should have the person to turn his/her head to get a split light so the camera can transition from dark side/area of his face to actually story so we can create a flashback. As for the story goes, I like Jojo idea of having the instruction on the character loving his guitar more than anything but how about we have the girl represent the guitar and him expressing his love for it. In the act, he is actually giving instruction to this girl but in reality, he is really intoxicated and probably does not realized he/she is talking/or giving this instruction to his/her guitar and all you see is just a bunch of papers all over the floor.

7. Kal

In class we talked about using the song Handle with Care by Kid Cudi as a story line for this Project since Mamadou got this idea right away once he heard what the project was about. We all listened to the lyrics of the song so we could get an understanding of where he got his inspiration from. After that we discussed how we would portray this song for our Project.

[Verse 1]
    Pardon me babe, there are instructions I think that you should read
    I’m a madman, I cause problems that I truly never mean
    I’m damaged, I trust no one, sometimes I can be real mean
    To a magnitude extreme, I’m sorry but

[Chorus]
    Handle with care, so fragile and delicate
    Handle with care, I’m so fragile and delicate
    Handle with care, here’s your warning

[Verse 2]
    My heart it has no shell, I can sense everything
    I love from deep inside, but there are pains I hope to fix
    I have no bag of tricks, it’s just you should

[Chorus]
    Handle with care, here’s your warning

[Outro]
    Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why
    Why, oh why me, me?
    Why, oh why me?

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

First of all, I suggest this group needs to post what you discussed in class. Any of you can do it as long as you were in class. Then, as I mentioned, the 20 min. group discussion at the end of the last session was definitely not enough. Thus, in this online discussion, you can exchange more ideas, and develop them together. In the end, I will be able to examine how contribution everyone made. There is no such a thing, “there was too much of pre-production”. In video production, or in any field, preparation is the most essential.

After you post some ideas/your thoughts, if no one else responds, don’t wait around. Instead, you can keep posting more. That way, you will most likely be able to score high in your individual achievements. If you end up having many, many ideas/possibilities, I will then suggest what would be the most appropriate ones for this project.

If you were absent, you can suggest anything based on the criteria.

Have fun!